External hard drive - bad sectors?

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I dropped my hard drive a while back and have now opened and reconnected everything.
It seems to be picked up as I have repartitioned it but when I try to format it (using EASEUS), it stalls and hangs after only 5%.
Is there a way I can check the sectors and even partition off the bad sectors making it useable again?

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hard drives are too cheap to bother doing what you are asking. Once the drive has been physically damaged (as implied by the cause and effect you list above) it can no longer be trusted and will only get worse with time.

Replace the drive. If your data has any value to you (which it should if you are bothering to put it on an external drive) then just get a new bare drive and drop it into your existing case.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

It's only implied, I don;t know whether it's damaged and would like to find out.
Some free software to check vs money is worthwhile at least to start with.

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
You asked about "even partition off the bad sectors making it useable again".

See what the drive itself is (the actual drive, not the case) and download the manufacturers surface scan software from their website.

But again, drives are dirt cheap. If your data has any value why bother with a drive of questionable health?

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
If the drive is still accessible you can use something like DBAN. If the drive is not accessible (system can't access it) but still worried, take it apart and wreck the platters.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

with a hammer?

I tried downloading the Maxtor software but their website has an error.