Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

COT: Wierd Computer Things

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 8:32:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

When I bought a Pinnacle TV Tuner card it wouldn't work with my Sparkle
sound card. Everytime I plugged in the Pinnacle all computer sounds would
cease. So I bought a SB Live 5.1 and all was well.

Until.

I did my little upgrade. Two video cards and my MB has room for a sound card
_or_ a TV tuner card. TV it is, I decide. The MB has a reasonable onboard
soundcard and I don't listen to anything fancy or whatnot.

No.

TV card goes in, sound goes away. It isn't a device conflict (never was).
It's one of those wierd twilight zone thingies you see around computers
sometimes - like the guy who had to by a new mouse because his current one
made his DVD drive cease to exist - I kid you not! Everytime he booted the
computer with his 'normal' mouse plugged it the computer said that there was
no DVD drive in the machine. Use a different mouse and the drive was there.
There is no earthly reason why this should happen. Tech's are completely
stumped, but it still happened.

So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
computer has done to you.

MM
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 8:32:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:TrOUe.29633$FA3.27510@news-
<snip>
> So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
> bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
> computer has done to you.
>
> MM
>



When I bought my new computer, I gave my old computer to my father. It's a
1GHz Duron. For me, the USB ports worked. But when I put in his new hard
drive, the USB ports stopped working. Since my father has a USB printer,
this is a pretty big deal. So after lots of searching, I find out that that
model computer has bad USB support on the motherboard - the solution is to
simply buy a dedicated USB card (never mind they worked for me). So I do.
When I install it, I can't get the new USB ports on the card to work. But
out of frustration, I stick the printer into the old port (on the
motherboard, which didn't work) and it suddenly it works.
September 11, 2005 2:21:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

>
>TV card goes in, sound goes away. It isn't a device conflict (never was).
>It's one of those wierd twilight zone thingies you see around computers
>sometimes - like the guy who had to by a new mouse because his current one
>made his DVD drive cease to exist - I kid you not! Everytime he booted the

I had something similar on one of my computers. I put in a soundcard
and the HD went away. The reason was that the powersupply didn't
deliver enough power.


>computer with his 'normal' mouse plugged it the computer said that there was
>no DVD drive in the machine. Use a different mouse and the drive was there.
>There is no earthly reason why this should happen. Tech's are completely
>stumped, but it still happened.

I connected an external USB HD to one of my machines once and ended up
with a nice blue screen and an erased HD, again it was the power
supply. But I guess I'm lucky, everytime something weird happens with
the computer and it isn't caused by any conflicts I just change the
power supply and it works fine:-)







>
>So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
>bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
>computer has done to you.
>
>MM
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 2:21:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I wish! A nice simple PS problem would make a nice change! G

Maybe I don't wish. I don't think I'd like a magically reformatting HD.

MM



"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:jgp7i1di3pd8ac18pmlee54h0d2cbrb4mg@4ax.com...
>
>>
>>TV card goes in, sound goes away. It isn't a device conflict (never was).
>>It's one of those wierd twilight zone thingies you see around computers
>>sometimes - like the guy who had to by a new mouse because his current one
>>made his DVD drive cease to exist - I kid you not! Everytime he booted the
>
> I had something similar on one of my computers. I put in a soundcard
> and the HD went away. The reason was that the powersupply didn't
> deliver enough power.
>
>
>>computer with his 'normal' mouse plugged it the computer said that there
>>was
>>no DVD drive in the machine. Use a different mouse and the drive was
>>there.
>>There is no earthly reason why this should happen. Tech's are completely
>>stumped, but it still happened.
>
> I connected an external USB HD to one of my machines once and ended up
> with a nice blue screen and an erased HD, again it was the power
> supply. But I guess I'm lucky, everytime something weird happens with
> the computer and it isn't caused by any conflicts I just change the
> power supply and it works fine:-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
>>bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
>>computer has done to you.
>>
>>MM
>>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:35:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Madame Mim wrote, On 11-9-2005 6:32:
>
> So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
> bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
> computer has done to you.

When I first installed Windows XP on my old machine my Pioneer DVD drive
had problems. Everytime I put in a disc the computer would freeze,
couldn't do anything at all not even ctrl+alt+delete, if I took out the
disc the computer would unfreeze and act as if there was nothing wrong.
I searched the site of Pioneer, but couldn't find anything, called them
and they never heard of the problem before. So I took out the drive and
bought a new one. Later on the Microsoft support site I found it was a
known problem with some dvd/cd drives. It also solved another problem
which was that when I watch a dvd now it doesn't sound like there's a
helicopter hovering in my room ;-)

My sister got my old computer when I bought a new one lasts year and she
has problems with any dvd/cd drive she puts in, the first one only
accepted the windows cd-rom, no other cd-roms, audio cd's or dvd's. With
a new installation of XP and another dvd drive solved the problem
somewhat; she is only not able to play audio cd's. Personally I think it
has something to do with the little start up program my father used so
that he could install XP, because before that everything worked fine
with me. She's now saving money to buy a brand new computer (and have it
put together and installed by the store so my father can't break it ;-)).

I could go on and on about weirdness and computers.

Bianca
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:43240861$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> My sister got my old computer when I bought a new one lasts year and she
> has problems with any dvd/cd drive she puts in, the first one only
> accepted the windows cd-rom, no other cd-roms, audio cd's or dvd's. With a
> new installation of XP and another dvd drive solved the problem somewhat;
> she is only not able to play audio cd's. Personally I think it has
> something to do with the little start up program my father used so that he
> could install XP, because before that everything worked fine with me.
> She's now saving money to buy a brand new computer (and have it put
> together and installed by the store so my father can't break it ;-)).


This CD playing problem. Are you saying that the new drive will not play
music from CD's? If so the answer could be really simple. Although a disk
drive only needs an IDE and power cable to work for most things it _also_
needs a special connection to the sound card (or mother board if the sound
card is integrated). Are you sure that she has one?

MM
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:KbUUe.30007$FA3.28674@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> news:43240861$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> My sister got my old computer when I bought a new one lasts year and she
>> has problems with any dvd/cd drive she puts in, the first one only
>> accepted the windows cd-rom, no other cd-roms, audio cd's or dvd's. With
>> a new installation of XP and another dvd drive solved the problem
>> somewhat; she is only not able to play audio cd's. Personally I think it
>> has something to do with the little start up program my father used so
>> that he could install XP, because before that everything worked fine with
>> me. She's now saving money to buy a brand new computer (and have it put
>> together and installed by the store so my father can't break it ;-)).
>
>
> This CD playing problem. Are you saying that the new drive will not play
> music from CD's? If so the answer could be really simple. Although a disk
> drive only needs an IDE and power cable to work for most things it _also_
> needs a special connection to the sound card (or mother board if the sound
> card is integrated) IF YOU WANT IT TO PLAY MUSIC CD'S. Are you sure that
> she has one?
>
> MM
>

Sorry for shouting - I am trying to get it into my think head that people
will have a better idea of what the hell I am talking about if I speak/type
in complete sentances.

MM
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:11:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Madame Mim wrote, On 11-9-2005 13:05:
> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> news:43240861$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>
>>My sister got my old computer when I bought a new one lasts year and she
>>has problems with any dvd/cd drive she puts in, the first one only
>>accepted the windows cd-rom, no other cd-roms, audio cd's or dvd's. With a
>>new installation of XP and another dvd drive solved the problem somewhat;
>>she is only not able to play audio cd's. Personally I think it has
>>something to do with the little start up program my father used so that he
>>could install XP, because before that everything worked fine with me.
>>She's now saving money to buy a brand new computer (and have it put
>>together and installed by the store so my father can't break it ;-)).
>
>
>
> This CD playing problem. Are you saying that the new drive will not play
> music from CD's? If so the answer could be really simple. Although a disk
> drive only needs an IDE and power cable to work for most things it _also_
> needs a special connection to the sound card (or mother board if the sound
> card is integrated). Are you sure that she has one?
>
> MM
>
>

She has everything and everything is connected properly, it simply
doesn't recognise audio-cd's, it always give a message telling that the
disc is damaged (when it is not) or that is has no data (when it has),
we've also tried older cd's to make sure it isn't a copy-right thing
(although I doubted it since the cd's all work fine on my comp). So I
still think it has something to do the the installation program my
father used...

B
September 11, 2005 5:13:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:49:11 GMT, "Madame Mim"
<mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>I wish! A nice simple PS problem would make a nice change! G

A power supply problem can be anything but simple, probably because
most people think the problems are caused by something else.

Problems such as these are often caused by the power supply:

You add something to the computer such as A CD-ROM, a HD, a sound-card
or anything else but the computer doesn't find it, or if it does
something else no longer works.

The CD/DVD ROM can't read certain CD's or you try to install Windows
and you get som error saying that some file can't be read or written.

Problems reading/writing to the HD.

A sound card that sometimes don't produce sound, but the problem goes
away if you use another sound-card. This happens simply because not
all soundcards, HD's or whatever require exactly the same amount of
power.

>Maybe I don't wish. I don't think I'd like a magically reformatting HD.

I was stupid, I was trying to run an AMD 64 3700+, a Nvidia Geforce
6800 Video card and a lot of other things from a 200W power supply,
the only thing that could be called magic was that it started at
all:-)









>
>MM
>
>
>
>"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
>news:jgp7i1di3pd8ac18pmlee54h0d2cbrb4mg@4ax.com...
>>
>>>
>>>TV card goes in, sound goes away. It isn't a device conflict (never was).
>>>It's one of those wierd twilight zone thingies you see around computers
>>>sometimes - like the guy who had to by a new mouse because his current one
>>>made his DVD drive cease to exist - I kid you not! Everytime he booted the
>>
>> I had something similar on one of my computers. I put in a soundcard
>> and the HD went away. The reason was that the powersupply didn't
>> deliver enough power.
>>
>>
>>>computer with his 'normal' mouse plugged it the computer said that there
>>>was
>>>no DVD drive in the machine. Use a different mouse and the drive was
>>>there.
>>>There is no earthly reason why this should happen. Tech's are completely
>>>stumped, but it still happened.
>>
>> I connected an external USB HD to one of my machines once and ended up
>> with a nice blue screen and an erased HD, again it was the power
>> supply. But I guess I'm lucky, everytime something weird happens with
>> the computer and it isn't caused by any conflicts I just change the
>> power supply and it works fine:-)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
>>>bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
>>>computer has done to you.
>>>
>>>MM
>>>
>>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 5:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:3o28i1t97q6q9q323de419fbak5se0rdn2@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:49:11 GMT, "Madame Mim"
> A sound card that sometimes don't produce sound, but the problem goes
> away if you use another sound-card. This happens simply because not
> all soundcards, HD's or whatever require exactly the same amount of
> power.
>

But not in this case. I tried alternative power supplies the last time this
happened and, technically, have again as this is a new power supply to go
with my upgrade.

MM
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 7:42:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 04:32:51 GMT, "Madame Mim"
<mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
>bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
>computer has done to you.

I have to start my computer twice, otherwise it won't enable mouse and
keyboard. If I reboot, if I have to reset again when it boots. It
gives a little beep in the speaker if it doesnt work.

I got a pair of memory chips. Didnt work. Switched them (1 to position
2 and vice versa), worked like a charm, no explanation, the chips were
identical.

Originally I couldnt even get my computer to start up, for reasons
unknown. Took the motherboard out, put it back in, suddenly worked.
Short maybe? I dont know.

Videocard will only run with one specific power cable. None of the
others.

Fried an entire motherboard once because I set one of the LEDs wrong.
They refused me warranty.

I could go on for a while... LOL
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
September 11, 2005 8:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:42:15 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 04:32:51 GMT, "Madame Mim"
><mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
>>bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
>>computer has done to you.
>
>I have to start my computer twice, otherwise it won't enable mouse and
>keyboard. If I reboot, if I have to reset again when it boots. It
>gives a little beep in the speaker if it doesnt work.

Are you using PS2 mouse and keyboard?

>I got a pair of memory chips. Didnt work. Switched them (1 to position
>2 and vice versa), worked like a charm, no explanation, the chips were
>identical.

That's usually not a problem with other than PC3200 memory chips,
maybe your mainboard doesn't like the chips. My computer won't work
with TwinMos chips at all:-)

>Videocard will only run with one specific power cable. None of the
>others.

Are there more than one connector on that cable?

>Fried an entire motherboard once because I set one of the LEDs wrong.
>They refused me warranty.

That's impossible! What did you connect them to? If the mainboard
could be killed by something like that I wouldn't have one single
mainboard:-)
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 10:58:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:28:19 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>Are you using PS2 mouse and keyboard?

Yes. Any idea what's going on?

>That's usually not a problem with other than PC3200 memory chips,
>maybe your mainboard doesn't like the chips. My computer won't work
>with TwinMos chips at all:-)

It's TWINMOS that I have LOL they've worked great ever since though.

>Are there more than one connector on that cable?

Yes, but they were not in use, which is why I dont understand.

>That's impossible! What did you connect them to? If the mainboard
>could be killed by something like that I wouldn't have one single
>mainboard:-)

You would think so, wouldn't you!? LOL I still dont undestand myself,
apparently I grounded the sound LED or something incorrectly. There
were no components present on the motherboard, PSU was thoroughly
checked and still working, no overload etc... still a mystery, and I
never shopped from those damn people again.
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
September 12, 2005 1:36:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:58:49 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:28:19 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>Are you using PS2 mouse and keyboard?
>
>Yes. Any idea what's going on?

Plenty of ideas yes, but they may not solve your problem. It's most
likely a hardware problem, the PS/2 sockets could have a poor
connection to the motherboard or may not be grounded to the case. If
the computer has always behaved this way I think it's a problem with
the motherboard unless you have the keyboard/mouse connected to a
switch. I have had this problem with switches and wireless mouse and
keyboard.

It's hard to say what it is without having tried your computer

You could try the mouse and keyboard on another computer to find out
if they are OK.

It could also be an incompatibility problem with your keyboard/mouse
and the computer, but it's less likely. My horrible Siemens refused to
work with Logitech keyboards and had no problems with others:-)


>>That's usually not a problem with other than PC3200 memory chips,
>>maybe your mainboard doesn't like the chips. My computer won't work
>>with TwinMos chips at all:-)

>It's TWINMOS that I have LOL they've worked great ever since though.

No surprise, you probably don't have the same motherboard as I have:-)

>>Are there more than one connector on that cable?
>
>Yes, but they were not in use, which is why I dont understand.

There must be a problem with the other connectors on that cable, have
you tried to tighten the clips?

>>That's impossible! What did you connect them to? If the mainboard
>>could be killed by something like that I wouldn't have one single
>>mainboard:-)
>
>You would think so, wouldn't you!? LOL I still dont undestand myself,
>apparently I grounded the sound LED or something incorrectly. There
>were no components present on the motherboard, PSU was thoroughly

Just tried it on my "test" machine, I connected it to every bloody pin
I could find while the computer was running and nothing bad
happened:-)

>checked and still working, no overload etc... still a mystery, and I
>never shopped from those damn people again.
September 12, 2005 2:17:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:TrOUe.29633$FA3.27510@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> When I bought a Pinnacle TV Tuner card it wouldn't work with my Sparkle
> sound card. Everytime I plugged in the Pinnacle all computer sounds would
> cease. So I bought a SB Live 5.1 and all was well.
>
> Until.
>
> I did my little upgrade. Two video cards and my MB has room for a sound
> card _or_ a TV tuner card. TV it is, I decide. The MB has a reasonable
> onboard soundcard and I don't listen to anything fancy or whatnot.
>
> No.
>
> TV card goes in, sound goes away. It isn't a device conflict (never was).
> It's one of those wierd twilight zone thingies you see around computers
> sometimes - like the guy who had to by a new mouse because his current one
> made his DVD drive cease to exist - I kid you not! Everytime he booted the
> computer with his 'normal' mouse plugged it the computer said that there
> was no DVD drive in the machine. Use a different mouse and the drive was
> there. There is no earthly reason why this should happen. Tech's are
> completely stumped, but it still happened.
>
> So, help me get over my dissapointment at not being able to snuggle up in
> bed and watch late night movies any more. Tell me about wierd things your
> computer has done to you.
>
> MM
>
I had to remove and reinstall windows due to a virus. trying to reinstall
printer. everytime computer starts up a message box comes up telling you
it has found new hardware and names printer- put driver disc in and
computer tells you to check printer connection as cant detect printer! any
ideas gratefully recieved.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:18:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Which OS do you have?

Best wishes
maxon

"linda" <linda@diane72.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D g26sf$2va$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I had to remove and reinstall windows due to a virus. trying to reinstall
> printer. everytime computer starts up a message box comes up telling you
> it has found new hardware and names printer- put driver disc in and
> computer tells you to check printer connection as cant detect printer!
any
> ideas gratefully recieved.
>
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:20:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:36:58 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>Plenty of ideas yes, but they may not solve your problem. It's most
>likely a hardware problem, the PS/2 sockets could have a poor
>connection to the motherboard or may not be grounded to the case. If
>the computer has always behaved this way I think it's a problem with
>the motherboard unless you have the keyboard/mouse connected to a
>switch. I have had this problem with switches and wireless mouse and
>keyboard.
>
>It's hard to say what it is without having tried your computer
>
>You could try the mouse and keyboard on another computer to find out
>if they are OK.

I have three computers, so yeah, hehe. I think the poor connection
sounds quite likely. They only started acting this way after I moved
all my stuff to another room and reconnected everything.
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:20:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

My husband, who is an electronic engineer, always checks cables are
functioning properly before anything else. Cables are vulnerable to damage
because they are able to move around and also to having faulty soldering on
the joints. He fixes lots of problems that way.

Best wishes
maxon


"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:g749i1l44ainosdt13a65iso8l7spjf8vu@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:36:58 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
> >Plenty of ideas yes, but they may not solve your problem. It's most
> >likely a hardware problem, the PS/2 sockets could have a poor
> >connection to the motherboard or may not be grounded to the case. If
> >the computer has always behaved this way I think it's a problem with
> >the motherboard unless you have the keyboard/mouse connected to a
> >switch. I have had this problem with switches and wireless mouse and
> >keyboard.
> >
> >It's hard to say what it is without having tried your computer
> >
> >You could try the mouse and keyboard on another computer to find out
> >if they are OK.
>
> I have three computers, so yeah, hehe. I think the poor connection
> sounds quite likely. They only started acting this way after I moved
> all my stuff to another room and reconnected everything.
> --
>
>
> Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
> your neighbourhood could be next!
September 12, 2005 11:56:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

windows xp. it is a dell computer and printer if that matters
"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:iU1Ve.15765$vC4.11279@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...
> Which OS do you have?
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>
> "linda" <linda@diane72.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D g26sf$2va$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> I had to remove and reinstall windows due to a virus. trying to reinstall
>> printer. everytime computer starts up a message box comes up telling you
>> it has found new hardware and names printer- put driver disc in and
>> computer tells you to check printer connection as cant detect printer!
> any
>> ideas gratefully recieved.
>>
>>
>
>
September 12, 2005 2:05:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:06:36 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>My husband, who is an electronic engineer, always checks cables are
>functioning properly before anything else. Cables are vulnerable to damage
>because they are able to move around and also to having faulty soldering on
>the joints. He fixes lots of problems that way.

True enough, but GP's problem was that he had to start the computer
twice to get the mouse/keyboard to work. If the cables were that
faulty, the mouse/keyboard would never have worked.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:05:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Cables can have intermittent faults or the soldered joints can work
sometimes or not if they are a poor joint. It wouldn't surprise me to hear
that was a cable problem. It might not be but that's the first thing I'd
check.

Best wishes
maxon

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:4gdai19s8uceqqcuad6bl3k33saphqmpq9@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:06:36 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >My husband, who is an electronic engineer, always checks cables are
> >functioning properly before anything else. Cables are vulnerable to
damage
> >because they are able to move around and also to having faulty soldering
on
> >the joints. He fixes lots of problems that way.
>
> True enough, but GP's problem was that he had to start the computer
> twice to get the mouse/keyboard to work. If the cables were that
> faulty, the mouse/keyboard would never have worked.
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:58:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:05:49 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>True enough, but GP's problem was that he had to start the computer
>twice to get the mouse/keyboard to work. If the cables were that
>faulty, the mouse/keyboard would never have worked.

I plugged out the cables, took out the USB>PS2 converts, straightened
the pins with my gf's eyelasher picker, plugged them back in, and then
into the computer. No more two startups. Very odd. I think I have a
gremlins in there.
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:58:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:49:39 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Cables can have intermittent faults or the soldered joints can work
>sometimes or not if they are a poor joint. It wouldn't surprise me to hear
>that was a cable problem. It might not be but that's the first thing I'd
>check.

Yeah, basically all I did now was take them in and out... but I've
done it before with no effect.
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:36:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Ok, bite my tongue! I have to appologise to you.

I was talking to a freind of mine today who reminded me that, although I had
checked a different power supply, I had only checked an alternate 350W
(which was what I was using at the time) and a 400W. He suggested that,
especially with my new graphics cards I really should try a 500W power
supply.

So I did, and everything works.

So, I am sorry. You were right. I was wrong.

I hate it when I am wrong. You'd think that I would have gotten used to it
by now . . .

:')

MM
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:40:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

This I can attest to. I once had a network cable through which (and a hub) I
could connect to the other machines on the network, but not to the network
modem. It was my cable and not the modems that was at fault, both other
computers on the network could see me and get online, but not my PC.

That was a fun fault to try to track down - not!

MM



"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D ibVe.41$ws4.2@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> Cables can have intermittent faults or the soldered joints can work
> sometimes or not if they are a poor joint. It wouldn't surprise me to
> hear
> that was a cable problem. It might not be but that's the first thing I'd
> check.
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>
> "Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
> news:4gdai19s8uceqqcuad6bl3k33saphqmpq9@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:06:36 GMT, "Maxon"
>> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My husband, who is an electronic engineer, always checks cables are
>> >functioning properly before anything else. Cables are vulnerable to
> damage
>> >because they are able to move around and also to having faulty soldering
> on
>> >the joints. He fixes lots of problems that way.
>>
>> True enough, but GP's problem was that he had to start the computer
>> twice to get the mouse/keyboard to work. If the cables were that
>> faulty, the mouse/keyboard would never have worked.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
September 12, 2005 4:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:58:23 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:05:49 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>True enough, but GP's problem was that he had to start the computer
>>twice to get the mouse/keyboard to work. If the cables were that
>>faulty, the mouse/keyboard would never have worked.
>
>I plugged out the cables, took out the USB>PS2 converts, straightened
>the pins with my gf's eyelasher picker, plugged them back in, and then

In other words, a poor connection, not a broken cable. However, I'm
not surprised, it's a common problem with converters. Why not use the
USB and get rid of the converters?

>into the computer. No more two startups. Very odd. I think I have a
>gremlins in there.

Yes, they are called USB to PS2 converters:-)
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I had to buy a great big new power supply when I got my new video card -
they are power hogs as far as I can tell.

Best wishes
maxon

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:p DeVe.34091$FA3.18483@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Ok, bite my tongue! I have to appologise to you.
>
> I was talking to a freind of mine today who reminded me that, although I
had
> checked a different power supply, I had only checked an alternate 350W
> (which was what I was using at the time) and a 400W. He suggested that,
> especially with my new graphics cards I really should try a 500W power
> supply.
>
> So I did, and everything works.
>
> So, I am sorry. You were right. I was wrong.
>
> I hate it when I am wrong. You'd think that I would have gotten used to it
> by now . . .
>
> :')
>
> MM
>
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:48:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:05 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>In other words, a poor connection, not a broken cable. However, I'm
>not surprised, it's a common problem with converters. Why not use the
>USB and get rid of the converters?

Don't have two ports to spare. Plus I heard USB is slower, which is
unacceptable to a gamer hehe
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:48:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I thought that USB was, by design, faster. That's why you get external USB
and not PS2 devices. On the other hand a lack of ports is a lack of ports.

MM



"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
news:o mqai1pfoojs4osaj3fukotojdjj17c27h@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:05 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>In other words, a poor connection, not a broken cable. However, I'm
>>not surprised, it's a common problem with converters. Why not use the
>>USB and get rid of the converters?
>
> Don't have two ports to spare. Plus I heard USB is slower, which is
> unacceptable to a gamer hehe
> --
>
>
> Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
> your neighbourhood could be next!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:48:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:05 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>
>>In other words, a poor connection, not a broken cable. However, I'm
>>not surprised, it's a common problem with converters. Why not use the
>>USB and get rid of the converters?
>
>
> Don't have two ports to spare. Plus I heard USB is slower, which is
> unacceptable to a gamer hehe

That is absolutely not true. USB is just as fast if not faster. Buy a
USB hub. They cost about $5 here and give you an extra three ports for
every one you use. I like mine because it brings the ports up to the
desktop so I don't have to move the monitor, open the dock, pull out the
CPU and then plug stuff in, put the CPU back, put the shelf back on the
dock, put the monitor back. Much easier. I use both USB keyboard and
mouse.

Jeanie
September 12, 2005 7:02:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:57 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>I had to buy a great big new power supply when I got my new video card -
>they are power hogs as far as I can tell.


They certainly are. My Athlon 64 3700+ CPU takes 90w, the Nvidia 6800
isn't far behind, the Soundcard also wants plenty of power. Then there
are the 4 HD's and everything else. And I thought I could run all that
with a small power supply:-)

Once I put 14 HD's in a big-tower box, 4 of them died horribly when
the power supply exploded:-(
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:02:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

My comp kept dying out on me when I put the card in - I also put in a new HD
too. My husband took one look and said 'you need a better power supply.'
It's been fine since.

Best wishes
maxon

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:umuai1h9ja8l0hc91ds8uh8d1hmf1a7ev5@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:57 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >I had to buy a great big new power supply when I got my new video card -
> >they are power hogs as far as I can tell.
>
>
> They certainly are. My Athlon 64 3700+ CPU takes 90w, the Nvidia 6800
> isn't far behind, the Soundcard also wants plenty of power. Then there
> are the 4 HD's and everything else. And I thought I could run all that
> with a small power supply:-)
>
> Once I put 14 HD's in a big-tower box, 4 of them died horribly when
> the power supply exploded:-(
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:15:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:42:53 GMT, "Madame Mim"
<mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>I thought that USB was, by design, faster. That's why you get external USB
>and not PS2 devices. On the other hand a lack of ports is a lack of ports.

It's definately *bigger* in terms of bandwidth, I just thought that
since PS2 was specific for keyboard and mouse, it would have a faster
response time. *shrug* doesnt really matter though hehe
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
September 12, 2005 7:17:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:48:21 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:41:05 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>In other words, a poor connection, not a broken cable. However, I'm
>>not surprised, it's a common problem with converters. Why not use the
>>USB and get rid of the converters?
>
>Don't have two ports to spare. Plus I heard USB is slower, which is
>unacceptable to a gamer hehe

I don't remember exactly how fast PS2 is(was it 460kbits?) but it's
much slower than USB. USB 2.0 has a speed of 480Mbits, no PS2
connector can match that. There's a good chance that your mouse will
work much smoother when connected to USB.

The port problem is easily solved with a hub.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:17:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:17:05 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>I don't remember exactly how fast PS2 is(was it 460kbits?) but it's
>much slower than USB. USB 2.0 has a speed of 480Mbits, no PS2
>connector can match that. There's a good chance that your mouse will
>work much smoother when connected to USB.

Well, that's the maximum bandwidth... I'm thinking of the response
time of PS2 vs. USB. Gamers generally say PS2 is faster. Can't imagine
a keyboard or mouse using that much bandwidth :-)

>The port problem is easily solved with a hub.

I'll think about it. Cause I also need some USB ports in the front.
Mine are all in the back because my case is too big and cable too
short.
--


Supreme Overlord of the Alien Vampire Zombie Ghost Invasion Horde,
your neighbourhood could be next!
September 12, 2005 8:01:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:42:53 GMT, "Madame Mim"
<mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>I thought that USB was, by design, faster. That's why you get external USB
>and not PS2 devices. On the other hand a lack of ports is a lack of ports.

Actually the PS/2 ports cannot be used for anything other than
mouse/keyboard as they are controlled by the keyboard controller that
won't recognize any other kind of devices.
September 12, 2005 8:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:17:24 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:17:05 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>I don't remember exactly how fast PS2 is(was it 460kbits?) but it's
>>much slower than USB. USB 2.0 has a speed of 480Mbits, no PS2
>>connector can match that. There's a good chance that your mouse will
>>work much smoother when connected to USB.
>
>Well, that's the maximum bandwidth... I'm thinking of the response
>time of PS2 vs. USB. Gamers generally say PS2 is faster. Can't imagine
>a keyboard or mouse using that much bandwidth :-)

No, they don't but a mouse designed for USB will nevertheless be
smoother than one designed for PS2.


>
>>The port problem is easily solved with a hub.
>
>I'll think about it. Cause I also need some USB ports in the front.
>Mine are all in the back because my case is too big and cable too
>short.

If you buy an external one, make certain it comes with it's own power
supply.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:40:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I understand that the PS2 ports on the computer are specific to the mouse
and keyboard. What I meant was that if the PS2 structure was inherently
faster than USB then they would make PS2 ports for other devices.

MM



"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:1e2bi11f61mdvifprkrshcsq7gtdg5cngo@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:42:53 GMT, "Madame Mim"
> <mad.mim@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>I thought that USB was, by design, faster. That's why you get external USB
>>and not PS2 devices. On the other hand a lack of ports is a lack of ports.
>
> Actually the PS/2 ports cannot be used for anything other than
> mouse/keyboard as they are controlled by the keyboard controller that
> won't recognize any other kind of devices.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:03:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> schreef in bericht
news:432410d4$0$11066$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Madame Mim wrote, On 11-9-2005 13:05:
>> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> news:43240861$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>>
>>>My sister got my old computer when I bought a new one lasts year and she
>>>has problems with any dvd/cd drive she puts in, the first one only
>>>accepted the windows cd-rom, no other cd-roms, audio cd's or dvd's. With
>>>a new installation of XP and another dvd drive solved the problem
>>>somewhat; she is only not able to play audio cd's. Personally I think it
>>>has something to do with the little start up program my father used so
>>>that he could install XP, because before that everything worked fine with
>>>me. She's now saving money to buy a brand new computer (and have it put
>>>together and installed by the store so my father can't break it ;-)).
>>
>>
>>
>> This CD playing problem. Are you saying that the new drive will not play
>> music from CD's? If so the answer could be really simple. Although a disk
>> drive only needs an IDE and power cable to work for most things it _also_
>> needs a special connection to the sound card (or mother board if the
>> sound card is integrated). Are you sure that she has one?
>>
>> MM
>
> She has everything and everything is connected properly, it simply doesn't
> recognise audio-cd's, it always give a message telling that the disc is
> damaged (when it is not) or that is has no data (when it has), we've also
> tried older cd's to make sure it isn't a copy-right thing (although I
> doubted it since the cd's all work fine on my comp). So I still think it
> has something to do the the installation program my father used...

Or with the hardware itself.
I had a DVD burner who did the same , didn`t recognise CD`s anymore.
But I could still burn dvd`s with it. So this could also be a hardware
issue.
(And yes, this problem occured just after the garantee ran out, it always
does. ;o( )

> B
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

D.E. wrote, On 14-9-2005 10:03:
>
> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> schreef in bericht
> news:432410d4$0$11066$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>
>> Madame Mim wrote, On 11-9-2005 13:05:
>>
>>> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>>> news:43240861$0$11061$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>>>
>>>> My sister got my old computer when I bought a new one lasts year and
>>>> she has problems with any dvd/cd drive she puts in, the first one
>>>> only accepted the windows cd-rom, no other cd-roms, audio cd's or
>>>> dvd's. With a new installation of XP and another dvd drive solved
>>>> the problem somewhat; she is only not able to play audio cd's.
>>>> Personally I think it has something to do with the little start up
>>>> program my father used so that he could install XP, because before
>>>> that everything worked fine with me. She's now saving money to buy a
>>>> brand new computer (and have it put together and installed by the
>>>> store so my father can't break it ;-)).
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> This CD playing problem. Are you saying that the new drive will not
>>> play music from CD's? If so the answer could be really simple.
>>> Although a disk drive only needs an IDE and power cable to work for
>>> most things it _also_ needs a special connection to the sound card
>>> (or mother board if the sound card is integrated). Are you sure that
>>> she has one?
>>>
>>> MM
>>
>>
>> She has everything and everything is connected properly, it simply
>> doesn't recognise audio-cd's, it always give a message telling that
>> the disc is damaged (when it is not) or that is has no data (when it
>> has), we've also tried older cd's to make sure it isn't a copy-right
>> thing (although I doubted it since the cd's all work fine on my comp).
>> So I still think it has something to do the the installation program
>> my father used...
>
>
> Or with the hardware itself.
> I had a DVD burner who did the same , didn`t recognise CD`s anymore.
> But I could still burn dvd`s with it. So this could also be a hardware
> issue.
> (And yes, this problem occured just after the garantee ran out, it
> always does. ;o( )

The first dvd-drive worked fine in my sisters old computer, the second
dvd-drive worked fine in my father's computer, so it would be very
coincidental if two dvd players, which both worked fine until they were
removed from the previous computer, broke as soon as they were put into
another machine. My sister's old dvd-drive now works fine in the
computer of our store, no problems at all!

Bianca
!