Jack-Black

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hi I really need help, I've been strugeling since last year september pls pls.

my Rig:

Motherboard: xfx 790i ultra sli

Ram: corsair xms3 4x 1g

processer: intel(R) core(TM2) Qaud Q6600 2.4ghz

Graphics card: xfx 9800 gx2 black edition

harddrive: 2x 500gb

powersupply: Vantec ioN2+AS 700watt

I exprienced ramdom freezes, while playing games, surfing the net or just doing nothing.
I tried some of the advice you guys posted on this site but still no cigar.

You guys hav no idee how annoying it is, I tried taking my rig back for a refund, but they find nothing wrong with the hardware.

please help I'm on the vurge of using a sleg hammer on my rig.
please I'm going insain.

Jack-Black

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
ok sorry dude. its the first time I heard of chkdsk? running the /r switch?? Hope its not to much to ask, but could you go more in detail pls? Im running windows 7 ultimate 64x at the moment. I ran it in xp, xp 64x, vista 32x and 64x and now win7 and all of them gave me the same isseu. freezing on ramdom times

There's your most likely problem. What have you tried so far? The kind of freezing you described almost always has to do with RAM timing or voltage issues.

Since you have memory filling all four DIMMS, my guess is that you need to bump up the RAM voltage to 0.05-0.1V above the listed specs. RAM often needs slightly more juice when you're using four sticks, or it'll do exactly what you're describing. The motherboard's "auto" setting usually isn't very good at compensating for this effect; it thinks it's still supposed to be supplying stock voltage and you get freezing.

If you've tried this already and are still having the same problem, you can probably ignore this and concentrate on the more complicated solutions. But RAM is definitely the first place I'd look.

Jack-Black

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
ok cool beans Ill try it.

well I'v tried taking two ram sticks out.
I'v switch the 2x ram to the next slots.
I'v switch the graphics card with a asus 275gtx.
I 'v switched the cpu.
All the switching I'v done was all my buddies stuff and now running the rig. like i prescribed.
I changed the voltage like i'v seen on the post on this site.

I'v just formated and hav a fresh copy of win7 on again. so I'll pump the ram voltage up to 0.10v and I'll keep you posted Thanks.

Jack-Black

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
ok well i'v change the voltage of the ram to 0.10v and as soon as win is about to log on, it locks up again. so change it back to 0.05v. but i'v played around with all my voltages again and my timing so far so good. but i'v ran a windows memory daig. and it said that windows found a problemes with my hardware while the voltage was on 0.10v

wait, are you changing the OVERALL voltage of the RAM to 0.1V? That's not what you're supposed to do.

You're supposed to set the RAM to 0.1V above what the manufacturer's stock rating is (e.g. if the RAM is supposed to be 1.5V, set it at 1.6V). 1.5V is the "standard" for a lot of DDR3, though you'll find a lot of other voltages as well. The overall voltage is most likely going to be in the high one-point-something range.

You need to look up your specific model of RAM and find out what the voltage is supposed to be, and then set that 0.1V higher for four sticks. If just running two sticks, you don't need to add the extra voltage.