Graphics card dillema!!

G

I need some help guys, I am looking at buying a nice gaming rig soon ,but i am confused by all the different types of RAM on the graphics cards! Which is better, DDR2, DDR3, DDR5?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Noobster15

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
DDR3 Is the fastest RAM you can use on Motherboards at the moment (Faster then DDR AND DDR 2) , of course you can only use it with the Lastest Intel i7/i5 and AMD motherboards.

DDR2 is the more conventional RAM at the moment, as the majority of motherboards being used and available in the market use DDR2.

DDR5, so far is the fastest RAM available, its mostly found on on high-end graphic cards like the ATI 4870 and 5870. Nvidia has yet to utilize DDR5.

lovejit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
@ Noobster15:

You are confusing b/w GC RAM and mobo RAM.....
Guys having DDR2 mobo can get DDR3 GC working on their boards....... :)

DDR5 is going to be the standard within a couple of months, with DDR2 gone and DDR3 going. The newer ATI cards use GDDR5, with the oldest DDR2 card being the HD4650.
Graphics Double Data Rate 3 is a graphics card-specific memory technology, designed by ATI Technologies[1] with the collaboration of JEDEC.

It has much the same technological base as DDR2, but the power and heat dispersal requirements have been reduced somewhat, allowing for higher performance memory modules, and simplified cooling systems. Unlike the DDR2 used on graphics cards, GDDR3 is unrelated to the JEDEC DDR3 specification. This memory uses internal terminators, enabling it to better handle certain graphics demands. To improve bandwidth, GDDR3 memory transfers 4 bits of data per pin in 2 clock cycles.

The GDDR3 Interface transfers two 32 bit wide data words per clock cycle from the I/O pins. Corresponding to the 4n-pre fetch a single write or read access consists of a 128 bit wide, one-clock-cycle data transfer at the internal memory core and four corresponding 32 bit wide, one-half-clock-cycle data transfers at the I/O Pins. Single-ended unidirectional Read and Write Data strobes are transmitted simultaneously with Read and Write data respectively in order to capture data properly at the receivers of both the Graphics SDRAM and the controller. Data strobes are organized per byte of the 32 bit wide interface.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Uh yeah .. DDR2 is starting to phase out as well. DDR3 is better .. for SYSTEM RAM. However you can get super-fast DDR5 RAM for video cards. DDR3 RAM is also fast for VGA cards, too .. however at the moment .. DDR5 is starting to become the norm for video card memory. At least as far as ATI is concerned. I would imagine Nvidia will stick with DDR3 for now .. and that does not NECESSARILY mean these cards will be slower .. but .. the actual RAM in high end ATI cards is certainly faster.

With all that said .. DDR2 is slower than DDR3 .. DDR3 is slower than DDR 4 and DDR5 is the fastest RAM available when it comes to video cards. As for actual system RAM ... I highly recommend going with DDR3 over DDR2. Mostly because you will have some room to upgrade in the future if you pick the right mobo. Just pick one with lower latency and you'll get a real boost over DDR2.

Noobster15

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Oh i did not read the graphics card part, MY BAD!

Otherwise i would have been more direct, i thought you meant RAM in general.

And no Nvidia is going DDR5 for their new GPU's that have yet to be released