Mimatched RAM

Hello everybody,
I've bought a GEIL dual channel 1066 (2x2GB) 6-6-6-18 (2.0 v) and I want to match it with OCZ dual channel 1066 (2x1GB) 5-5-5-15 (2.1 v). Which Memory Timing and Multiplier should I choose to match them?
you know, my system restarts when I use them together!

Also, My system recognize the GEIL as a 800 Mhz 5-5-5-15! What should I do?
18 answers Last reply
More about mimatched
  1. Try first 800Mhz CL5,5,5,15 @2.0V
    If it works, you can try 1066Mhz CL6,6,6,18 @2.0V

    Anyway, you can use the "cpu-z" which says you the default timings for each speed (533,667,800,1066) and for each module.
  2. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

    What mobo do you have?
  3. Dear All,
    M.B : GA EP45-UD3R
    FSB : 333
  4. Henry Chinaski said:
    Try first 800Mhz CL5,5,5,15 @2.0V
    If it works, you can try 1066Mhz CL6,6,6,18 @2.0V

    Anyway, you can use the "cpu-z" which says you the default timings for each speed (533,667,800,1066) and for each module.


    I've tried 800Mhz CL5,5,5,15 and 1066Mhz CL6,6,6,18 @ 1.8V, you think 2.0V would differ the result?
  5. Ok, your mobo support 1066, so, you need set all the specifications manually in the BIOS. configure the RAM at 2.0V and the timings at the low CL.
  6. saint19 said:
    Ok, your mobo support 1066, so, you need set all the specifications manually in the BIOS. configure the RAM at 2.0V and the timings at the low CL.


    GEIL didn't work at 1066, CL 5-5-5-15, 2V
    so, I must use 1066, CL 6-6-6-18, 2V or 1.8V.
    The RAMs didn't Work together!http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/fou.gif
    Will be any differences if I set DRAM @2.0V instead of @1.8V?
  7. Yes, you have set them @2.0v (although sometimes a bit lower voltage is enough, but 1.8v is too low)
  8. Your Ocz modules need 2.1v (specification), so at least set 2.0v, and if it doesn´t work, try 2.05v (0.05v more than specification is not a problem for the Geil modules)
  9. Henry Chinaski said:
    Your Ocz modules need 2.1v (specification), so at least set 2.0v, and if it doesn´t work, try 2.05v (0.05v more than specification is not a problem for the Geil modules)

    Thanks Henry, But didn't work!
    Maybe there is a problem in GEIL module (GX24GB8500C6UDC) because it is automatically recognized as PC2 6400 (CL 5-5-5-15) in cpuz and Timing Table doesn't have 6-6-6-18 @ 533 Mhz!
  10. Please give me the links for your GEIL RAM and OCZ RAM, like I see the problem is your GEIL RAM that don't support the OC until 1066 with the default settings of your OCZ RAM.

    Also, the voltage of the OCZ RAM could be a problem, the recommended for DDR2 is 1.8V, and you have a DDR2 with 2.0V to 2.1V that could be hard to set for your mobo.
  11. saint19 said:
    Please give me the links for your GEIL RAM and OCZ RAM, like I see the problem is your GEIL RAM that don't support the OC until 1066 with the default settings of your OCZ RAM.

    Also, the voltage of the OCZ RAM could be a problem, the recommended for DDR2 is 1.8V, and you have a DDR2 with 2.0V to 2.1V that could be hard to set for your mobo.


    Thanks saint19,

    OCZ: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_sli_ready_edition_dual_channel

    GEIL: http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/214
  12. Trywith 6-6-6-18 and 2.0V for both RAMs
  13. saint19 said:
    Trywith 6-6-6-18 and 2.0V for both RAMs


    Thanks saint19,
    But didn't work!
  14. Well, in that case is a conpatibility problem between you GEIL and OCZ RAM.
  15. saint19 said:
    Well, in that case is a conpatibility problem between you GEIL and OCZ RAM.

    :cry:
  16. Have you set the the geil modules in the orange rows and the ocz in the yelow ones?

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2921
  17. Henry Chinaski said:
    Have you set the the geil modules in the orange rows and the ocz in the yelow ones?

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2921


    Yes, the GEIL m. are in the 1&3 (red/orange) rows.
  18. Henry Chinaski said:
    Have you set the the geil modules in the orange rows and the ocz in the yelow ones?

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2921



    Yes, the GEIL m. are in the 1&3 (red/orange) rows.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Geil RAM Dual Channel