My PC will not power up and the LED is flashing

Evanvigor

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
My cat shut off my power supply backup and surge protector while i was at work, when i got home i turned the backup/surge protector back on and everything plugged into it started back up except for my computer. I tested a different outlet and used a different power supply cable from another working computer and neither one allowed me to turn the computer on. All I have is a flashing green light next to the power supply plug-in. What do I do next...replace the "male end" power supply in the PC tower or could it be something like a motherboard problem? Is either option something a monkey can do since I have never dared mess with or "repair" a computer before?

Solution

That flashing light is unique to the power supply controller. What it means would be found in the manufacturer's manual.

Meanwhile, the very next reply can identify the suspect - without doubt - in the very next post if you only provide numbers from six wires. Your only alternative is to keep swapping parts until something works. Then hope you have fixed the problem rather than cure a symptom.

A meter sold in K-mart, Lowes, or most any store that sells hammers will provide those numbers. (Best price may be $16 in Wal-mart). Using a simple one minute procedure, get and post those numbers here. A procedure posted if you are...

Evanvigor

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
OK I did not mean THAT computer illiterate. Next time give me a better answer than "did you turn it on?" If you were serious in your response...ponder this, I have been known to use the computer before this happened from my posted question (which you should have gathered) which means at some point I had to of pressed the power button on the PC to start the computer. Thank you for trying but that was the lamest answer to get from a computer forum website.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Some people have switched the PSU button thinking it would turn the PC on. But you also have to press the power button on the PC also.

With an attitude like that you'll be lucky if anyone else responds to your post.

Good luck…….

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

That flashing light is unique to the power supply controller. What it means would be found in the manufacturer's manual.

Meanwhile, the very next reply can identify the suspect - without doubt - in the very next post if you only provide numbers from six wires. Your only alternative is to keep swapping parts until something works. Then hope you have fixed the problem rather than cure a symptom.

A meter sold in K-mart, Lowes, or most any store that sells hammers will provide those numbers. (Best price may be $16 in Wal-mart). Using a simple one minute procedure, get and post those numbers here. A procedure posted if you are interested. Then the next reply will identify the suspect - and why you know that part is defective. IOW fix the computer, know that the repair actually fixed the problem, and learn something. By simply measuring a few voltages.

Otherwise, start buying and replacing good parts until something works.

Solution