Radeon HD 3850 low fps

tchno

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Hi, I have been in a coma for about 8 years and woke up recently. Luckily my family decided to keep my computer which has Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz and had a geforce 2 mx. To me it feels like I just spent $4000 on this pc yesterday since I've been in the coma I lost 8 years. Well I figured what the hell 8 years no way could computers advance that much right? Well I bought this pc game the other day called crysis warhead. The box says it requires a dual core processor, from what I remember dual pentium 3 systems aren't even that much better then single Pentium 3 systems so im keeping my pentium 3 1.4 Ghz. As for the video card I'm way behind. The game requiring a geforce 6800 gt or ati radeon 9800 pro I decided to upgrade. Got me a nice radeon hd 3850 agp and from what I read this card can handle anything. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161226 So I boot up crysis and guess what? 3 fps!!! wtf!!! Can anyone help me?

G

Its not running because your CPU is not even close to being able to run it. When you think dual you are thinking of the old systems that actually came with 2 processors. When the box says "dual core" it is totally different then what you think. It is only one processor, with 2 different cores. Meaning lets say you are buring a dvd... one core can be doing that, while your system is still running smoothly using the other core in the processor. where as the 2 processor systems you are thinking of, are extremely sloe compared to the dual and actually Quad cores in todays processors. Your best bet would be keep that excellent card you just bought, go buy a new dualo or quad core system minus a monitor as im guessing you already have one, as the system you are running now is in no way capable of running any of the latest games. Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news :eek:(