Busted Power Supply?

Hey all,

I'm working on a bare bones build for a relative and I seem to have run into a bit of an issue. I'm working with an ATX 450 watt PSU and a Gigabyte G41M MOBO. When I plug into the back of the power supply (adjusted for 115 volts), I do not get even the slightest flick of power through the system. Obviously, it does not turn on at all, nor do I get any lights to light up on the MOBO.

The PSU came with the case, which is also ATX, so I'm not sure if that is a consistent problem or not? I'm using a Pentium dual core (E5200). I have also checked and rechecked my connections. So I am a bit stumped here. I read through the MOBO manual and it recommended a PSU with 500 watts, but even if not enough power were an issue, I'd at least get something running through the MOBO.

Any suggestions on how to check the PSU or from my description does it sound like it is busted?

Solution
Did you perform the breadboarding step in the checklist where you build the system outside the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short? Do you have a system speaker installed so you can hear any BIOS error beeps? It's possible the motherboard is dead, but problems like this are far more often user error.
Did you perform the breadboarding step in the checklist where you build the system outside the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short? Do you have a system speaker installed so you can hear any BIOS error beeps? It's possible the motherboard is dead, but problems like this are far more often user error.

Solution