Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 9800 GTX+ not performing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2009 2:45:07 PM

I recently upgraded going from one 9800 GTX+ to 2 in SLI with the new MB, PSU, and some extra RAM. I have all the current Nvidia drivers (I have tried several, using Driver sweeper each time I changed) and a fresh Vista 64 load.

No issues with anything except performance, it’s the same and at times less than with the single card as far as FPS goes. I don’t get it, have tried multiple drivers, have the most recent BIOS, ect... I have been reading these forums for years and was hoping there might be some insight here.

Added Info: The game I play is Aion, I have to set it at very low settings and still get low 20s FPS in the cities, and 40 to 50 elsewhere.
Added Info II: Current Nforce Driver set WHQL 15.49, replaced the GPU drivers included with the 15.49 (190.38) with 191.07.

My current build:
AMD 9850 Phenom II
ASUS M4N82 MB (For the 2x16 SLI)
8gb Corsair pc 6400 TWINX RAM
2 PNY 9800 GTX+ Video Cards
RAID 0 Storage
BFG 1000 Watt PSU

More about : 9800 gtx performing

October 13, 2009 3:30:12 PM

I was using 2 9800GTX+ on there 750i mother board . I did'nt like the performance . So I went with ATI HD 4770 on a ECS mother board and I'm very satisfied.
m
l

Best solution

October 13, 2009 3:33:20 PM

some games do not scale well with crossfire or sli. infact i remember reading a forum post where fallout 3 users with crossfire were actually getting LESS avg fps with crossfire than they were with single card solutions. even though more games are scaling well - some still do not. have you tried other games?

one last thing -> your processor is NOT a phenom 2 it is a phenom 1 which are HORRIBLE processors. balls slow and wicked power consumption for little improvement on overclock. my first guess is this:

1) your processor is a HUGE bottleneck and
2) the games you play do not scale well

you need a new processor man.
Related resources
October 13, 2009 3:56:15 PM

/sigh

I HAVE had my eye on a 955 BB, and my MB supports it. For some reason I was hoping for a magical solution that didnt require more money. Thanks for your inputs.
m
l
October 13, 2009 5:00:12 PM

Ditch the 9800's and go for a single card solution instead, then you will have better perf. and won't have to worry about compatibility issues, excess power consumption and won't also have to buy another CPU either.

The new ati 5700's would be probably what you want.
m
l
October 13, 2009 5:15:58 PM

rhys216 said:
Ditch the 9800's and go for a single card solution instead, then you will have better perf. and won't have to worry about compatibility issues, excess power consumption and won't also have to buy another CPU either.

The new ati 5700's would be probably what you want.

See, that’s the thing. If I had unlimited funds I could think up a really wonderful configuration of hardware. But this was an upgrade, I did my best to evaluate the biggest bang for my buck, I already had a 9800 GTX+ and it seemed like the best option for me was to pick up another and put them in SLI mode, get a MB that can operate in dual 16x, and a PSU that can handle the whole mess.

I didn’t realize my CPU would be a bottleneck, fortunately, this is a new MB so my options for upgrading the CPU is wide open and Phenom II CPU prices are reasonable. Switching to ATI just isn’t an option at this point.
m
l
October 13, 2009 6:11:59 PM

ppadula said:
See, that’s the thing. If I had unlimited funds I could think up a really wonderful configuration of hardware. But this was an upgrade, I did my best to evaluate the biggest bang for my buck, I already had a 9800 GTX+ and it seemed like the best option for me was to pick up another and put them in SLI mode, get a MB that can operate in dual 16x, and a PSU that can handle the whole mess.

I didn’t realize my CPU would be a bottleneck, fortunately, this is a new MB so my options for upgrading the CPU is wide open and Phenom II CPU prices are reasonable. Switching to ATI just isn’t an option at this point.

It's just I doubt the CPU is holding you back that much ( People seem to really over estimate the CPU).
You made a mistake upgrading all that stuff just to SLI when you should (and still should) sell off your old 9800's and get a Faster single card instead like a 5770 (or even a 5850 at a push) without having to spend any more £.

I made a similar mistake when I bought 2x 4870's 512mb to game at 2560*1600 when I should have just got a 4870x2 or waited for the 1gb Vram models.

Currently running a 5870 and it the BEST card I'v ever had to live with and which offers amazing performance. Completely SILENT when at idle at 33c due to the ultra low power consumption but kicks serious @ss when gaming.

The 5700 series should give you a similar experience at the res your gaming at and should save on your utility bills.
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:08:23 PM

The original Phenom processors were and still are incredibly horrible. SLi requires a relatively efficient processor but not necessarily high clock speeds or rediculous overclocks (though that certainly wouldn't hurt). It would have definitely been a smarter move to ditch the MB/SLi decision you made. Also the memory idea was a bad move; over 4GB of memory for gaming is complete overkill -- that money could've also been put towards your GPU. A single card option would've been the best choice, and also allowed for less power draw and heat in your case. I'm guessing your power supply isn't too great either.

Regardless, you need to update your processor next.
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:36:39 PM

brockh said:
The original Phenom processors were and still are incredibly horrible. SLi requires a relatively efficient processor but not necessarily high clock speeds or rediculous overclocks (though that certainly wouldn't hurt). It would have definitely been a smarter move to ditch the MB/SLi decision you made. Also the memory idea was a bad move; over 4GB of memory for gaming is complete overkill -- that money could've also been put towards your GPU. A single card option would've been the best choice, and also allowed for less power draw and heat in your case. I'm guessing your power supply isn't too great either.

Regardless, you need to update your processor next.

That's the plan, (AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail ). But the video card is going to be a while. Thanks again for your help.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2009 1:11:54 AM

Well back when I was using two EVGA 7600gs cards in sli and got crap fps I would oc the cards depending on the game. Max oc and performance vs single card I would get a 30~40% boost in most games while 70% was not uncommon. In GTA IV I would oc then async via riva tuner for games that didn't take advantage of sli. Check your temps and ram timings.
m
l
October 14, 2009 5:02:37 AM

if you get a new processor you can keep the SLi and you will notice a big improvement. keep the SLi but ditch the phenom :)  good luck and yes i know exactly how you feel with the tight budget. everyone in America does :( 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 14, 2009 12:48:21 PM

werxen said:
if you get a new processor you can keep the SLi and you will notice a big improvement. keep the SLi but ditch the phenom :)  good luck and yes i know exactly how you feel with the tight budget. everyone in America does :( 

Especially with the fact there are no start up jobs for those who are young or moving to a new field. Not to forget those million plus monthly losses (unofficial figure since the books are cooked.
m
l
March 22, 2010 11:45:40 PM

nforce4max said:
Especially with the fact there are no start up jobs for those who are young or moving to a new field. Not to forget those million plus monthly losses (unofficial figure since the books are cooked.

i was reading this post and like what i read, i am still runing two EVGA ( 9800 gtx + SC IN sli ) and love them very fast cards even today, just wish they had more RAM!) on the same cpu 9850 be 2.5 OC to 3.0 and get good fps with a lot of games but Crysis Warhead.... low fps 24, min hi 30s, hi 45fps.. .. i do belive the 9850 is his bottleneck as with my setup... tow days a go i ordered a new 940 be... i think the cpu will be big help...... here are some old links of my forums about this..... and i hear him about the money trouble... it took me almost a yr to get the money to get this CPU... and the cost went way down.......

www.tomshardware.com/forum/265033- [...] bottleneck

www.tomshardware.com/forum/284324-33-gpus#t2104292

OLD SETUP

Mobo is a ASUS M3N72-D duel Sli

AMD 9850 quad core 2.5 CPU, 125 watts , not OC yet.

1 LG 22" LCD 10,000 to 1. 2 ms

COOLING MASTER CPU COOLER gemin 2 s

2 EVGA 9800 GTXs + super clock GPUs…. Takes 1-6 pin per card.... ( got them both 4 under 200.00 NEW YEA )
core clock 756 shader clock 1836 memory clock 1123

Cooler Master PSU 750W real power

1 WD HDD 500 G @ 7200 RPMS

MUSHIIN MEM DDR2 2GX2 @ 1066

ANTEC 300 CASE

SOON TO BE NEW SETUP

Mobo is a ASUS M3N72-D duel Sli

AMD 940 quad core 3.0 CPU, 125 watts , not OC.

1 LG 22" LCD 10,000 to 1. 2 ms

COOLING MASTER CPU COOLER gemin 2 s

2 EVGA 9800 GTXs + super clock GPUs…. Takes 1-6 pin per card....
( got them both 4 under 200.00 NEW YEA )
core clock 756 shader clock 1836 memory clock 1123

Cooler Master PSU 750W real power

2 WD HDD 500 G @ 7200 RPMS ( IN RAID 0 )

MUSHIIN MEM DDR2 2GX2 @ 1066

ANTEC 300 CASE GOOD COOLING LOVE IT....

please feel free to help or give input ty.....
m
l
!