OC'ing, CPU/MB watt Compatability and more, help plz.

Oowah

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Okay, I have a series of questions dealing with CPU and motherboard compatibility, overclocking, and core unlocking

Can you run a 125w CPU on a 95w MB?
Why? Why Not?

I have a quad core processor (x4 960t) with two locked cores on a 95w motherboard (ASUS M5A78L-M LX with core unlocking abilities)
Is it possible to unlock these cores without buying a new motherboard. This concerns me because I am unsure whether or not this would affect the wattage of the CPU.

Would overclocking the CPU affect the wattage of the CPU?

Will doing any of this compromise the integrity of the CPU?

Is this possible?
Any info on this would be appreciated!

Solution
you should not pass 120w

and use this to calculate wattage of overclocked cpu at you desired clock and vcore

extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i think (and mean only think not certain) we can run a 125w cpu by downclocking it and keeping its tdp around 110w (without any compromise).

If your board support acc or ucc or whatever it is then you can unlock your cpu to a 5-6 core, and your board supports this.
It will require more power (around 125w)

overclocking increases wattage even at stock voltage

if done correctly then it do not, but wrong way and insufficent monitoring compromise integrity of cpu as well as motherboard and other components.

Oowah

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Okay, so unlocking the additional two cores will, as I suspected, will significantly increase the cpu wattage.

So you're also saying, overclocking, even without tampering with the voltage, will increase wattage.
How much will overclocking increase wattage, on stock voltage?
and how much more significant is the increase in wattage when tampering with voltages?

and lastly, what wattage should I not exceed to prevent compromising my motherboard or CPU?

My motherboad is made for 95w CPUs and my CPU is a 95w (Phenom ii x4 960t)
THX