Dual NICs - Forcing an application to choose one...

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Hey,

I have a ASUS P6TD motherboard with Dual Gigabit LAN connections, and i have both of them connected to my gigabit router on the same LAN, 192.168.1.0/24.

I plan on making some registry tweaks to one of my interfaces to optimize TCP transmission between, for example NIC2 and a server on the Internet.

However, i want my NIC1 to be used for normal everyday use.

How can i force an application to use NIC2, but have games, web browsers, etc use NIC1...?

Are there any applications to assist with this?

Thanks

EDIT:

dualnics.jpg

sturm

Splendid
Your wasting your time. Your internet connection wont even saturate a 100 meg connection, let alone a gig connection.
Now if the server was local then I could see separating the networks. But if everything will go over the internet then your just wasting time.

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
No im not. I'll be changing a specific interfaces TCP ACK frequency, and on that interface, standard downloads and web browsing will be affected in various negative ways. Thus, i want it to only be used for a specific reason, and i want my other interface to operate normally.

The fact that it's a gigabit interface was irrelevant and i probably shouldn't have mentioned that.

Edit: Thanks for the response though!

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I managed to do this.

Instead of using an app to funnel my traffic, i used a persistent route in Windows to the destination i wanted, out the physical interface i wanted.

ex:
route add -p destinationIP destinationMASK nexthopIP if interfaceINDEX
or
route add -p 100.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1 if 13

on top of this, i had to delete the default gateway for my "modified" interface. however...it would just keep coming back after reboots. SO...instead i re-added the default route as a -p (persistent) with a metric 1 higher than the default route for my NON-modified interface.

As a result of that, windows selects my non-modified interface for all traffic not destined to my persistent route i added for my modified one!