HELP. How do I connect my PSU to this motherboard (p7p55d)

What power supply do you have there? I cant tell if it has a 20+4 atx connector or a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. If you dont have a 24 pin connector on your power supply then it is definitely time to upgrade. If that is a 20+4 pin connector then it goes in the 24 pin slot on the motherboard and there should be another 4 or 8 pin connector that goes into the 8 pin slot that has half the holes covered.

Metalmurphy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Well the pics has all the motherboard power cables shown, all the others are just for HDDs n such, but my PSU is a LCPower LC6600 V2.2. Acording to the description on the box it has these cables:

20/24 pin mainboard
2x12V 4 pin mainboard (EPS 8pin)
1x PCI-Express (what is this btw? do i need to connect it to my GPU?)
4x SATA
4x PATA
1x floppy

The two cables shown on the left go together. That is the 20+4. They will only fit in one way.

The PCI-E cabble is also shown. It is the 6+2 pin. Whether you need it or not depends on your video card.

That looks like the 4-pin CPU power on the right. it's Ok to plug that into the 8-pin socket near your CPU. It will again only fit one way.

Having said all that, I wouldn't personally plug that cheap PSU into any hardware I valued.

Metalmurphy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
So I connect the 20+4 AND the 4 pin near the CPU? My previous motherboard only had 20 and 4 so I'm not sure if i'm connecting too many cables

That is right. As the MB picture shows, the 4-8 pin socket at the right edge of the board is where the 4-pin goes. They have blocked off the other for pins for you so you won't get confused... if you had a newer PSU with an 8-pin cable you would just remove the tab.

In short, fill every power connection on the board that you can.

Metalmurphy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks for the help guys, everything is working fine. I had a little scare with some red lights on the mobo but apparently they are normal for a first time boot, it's some sort of boot up check for all the components. They are all gone now.

Thanks again.