Sign in with
Your question

Unquantifiable amounts of frustration from a HDD.

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2011 6:31:42 PM

Hello,
A week ago my desktop pretty much stopped working. I went to Microsoft to see if the problem was the software, but turns out it was the HDD (Or at least I thought so) with Windows 7 on it. Basically it would freeze while gaming and then it just wouldn't start. I tried fiddling with the cables, and that didn't help.

Anyway, I downloaded SeaTools for DOS and it said that it had failed the long generic test and I went ahead a bought a new HDD. So it has arrived and I plug it in, load up XP to it, and then plug in the old (I own 3 HDDS, well ones at Seagate getting fixed) HDD which had been deemed broken, so I could try and clone it and get as much of my data (mostly 200++ of save games) back. It doesn't show up, so I move switch cables with the other working Slave HDD and it shows up on My Computer using XP.

So, curious as to why it looks like it is is perfect working order I download SeaTools for Windows. Switch the supposedly Broken HDD with the working Slave HDD which shows up. I put them through the S.M.A.R.T test, and they pass.

Then, low and behold, I get the blue screen of death. So I restart the computer and it asks me to insert a bootable media. I almost have kittens. My new HDD with XP on it and the "working" slave HDD are both connected to the Mobo. I unplug the slave HDD and it boots up fine.

Is it a HDD problem on my Slave Drive that is causing the problem, or is it my Mobo? I hope to dear God it is not a Mobo issue, but I fear it is.

My specs are as folOS: Windows XP Home Premium(until the problem is fixed then Windows 7 Home 64bit)
HDD: 250Gb(Supposedly broken, 750Gb, 500Gb(has Xp now Installed on it(supposedly working Slave HDD).
Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M LE
CPU: Intel i5-2300 @ 2.8GHz
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 1G
RAM: 4Gb Corsair DDR3 1333
August 4, 2011 2:10:44 PM

Really? No one has a solution or is going to reply? :p 
a b G Storage
August 4, 2011 3:39:38 PM

Does the freezing only occur when you're gaming? If this is the case I doubt it is your harddrive. It sounds more like a video card/memory/CPU issue to me. When it freezes are any of those components hot to the touch? Video card fans have a reutation for being unreliable, check to make sure your fan is spinning freely and nothing is overheating.
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
August 4, 2011 4:33:10 PM

I suspect you're going to have to go through a series of trials to narrow down the problem. Try plugging the suspect drive into different motherboard ports, try using different data cables, and try using different power cables from the PSU to see what's common to the crashes. It would also be a good idea to make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date.

The important thing in this kind of process is to change only one thing at a time and run the system that way long enough to have confidence that the particular configuration does or does not eliminate the problem.
a c 375 G Storage
August 4, 2011 5:08:12 PM

If this is happening during gaming, I'd definately suspect a heat problem. Grab yourself a copy of hwmonitor and check temps under load if possible. If it's dying before you get a chance to read temps, try running with the case cover off and a fan blowing on it. If you can game successfully with the cover off, then you've got a heat problem.
!