Buying a DAS for a Server

Hello all,

I am looking for a storage solution for my company as our current space is dwindling. I found that we have a working HP Proliant DL 380 G3 with server 2008. The hard drives that are inside are Ultra 320 SCSI drives and I will be using two of them in RAID 1 for the OS. I don't want to use the remaining 4 bays for storage because SCSI drives are expensive and there would be no room for expansion in the future without buying an extension so I want to skip the expensive SCSI drives and just go for a 12 bay external direct attached storage to be able to get a RAID 5 configuration for our main storage needs. From what I found I need to get a PCIe RAID controller to get the 12 bays of drives working with the server. The server does have 3xPCIe expansion slots. What I need is for someone to tell me if what I've picked out will work together and if I'm missing anything. Here is my current list of items:

PCIe SAS Controller Card
SAS Expander Direct Attached Storage
3x2TB SAS HDD

I'm worried that I might be overlooking something important between the items or that the HDDs need trays to slid into the expander. What do you think?
8 answers Last reply
More about buying server
  1. If the HDDs need trays, they will come with that bay device. Not to worry. You may need an SFF 8088 cable to connect the controller to the bay device.

-----------------------------------
    Now, my 1.5 cents' worth.

You are spending one heck of a lot of money to support what will be a slow array. I strongly suggest that you put more than three drives into your RAID5. From what I have read here in the past, I think that you break even in speed around five drives.

You have a twelve-bay enclosure there. You can buy smaller ones for less money. You have a four-port controller with three internal ports, where no internal ports are needed. Are these the results of a thorough search for SAS devices and the lowest-capacity that you could find? I know that for SATA drives you can pay less for smaller-capacity hardware, but I haven't done much research into the more expensive SAS world.

Finally, please remember that RAID 5 is no substitute for backups. Make backups of all of the data on that device.
  2. I didn't realize that you'd need more drives for more speed if you can find a link to where you found that I would greatly appreciate it. I have just recently entered the world of RAID storage two months ago and I am still learning. As for the cable I had chosen a different model of the DAS but then switched to the one I linked to and this on doesn't have a cable, thank you for pointing that out.
  3. Senselesslogic said:
    I didn't realize that you'd need more drives for more speed if you can find a link to where you found that I would greatly appreciate it.

It just stuck in my head from reading the forums; I'd have to go through the whole history of the NAS/RAID forum to pick out specifics and I'm much too lazy to do that. Sorry.

Any more experienced people to jump in?
  4. This is the Mini SAS to Mini SAS (8088) cable I have picked out. I also went with 5x1TB.
  5. Gosh and golly, SAS isn't much less expensive than SCSI was.
  6. Well that is because SAS stands for Serial attached SCSI. :P
  7. You will gain in speed if you use more drives in strip mode /and mixed modes/, because you are writing more bits in parallel, but it also seriously depends of your RAID controller.
  8. Senselesslogic said:
    Well that is because SAS stands for Serial attached SCSI. :P

Thought that it stood for 'Spensive as SCSI.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage Servers Product