Solved

Speed slow eSATA port

Hello,
I have a toshiba laptop with a eSATA port, the port work fine but the speed is the same that a USB 2.0(24Mbps) and i have 2 HardDrive one hitashi(2.5",320Gb) and other toshiba(1Tb), i dont know what happen, i updated the bios too
26 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about speed slow esata port
  1. I need help please
  2. Go to toshiba's web site and see if they have a chipset driver update for your laptop.
  3. Hi! thanks for your respond but i downloaded the latest chipset driver and updated my bios at last version and nothing happening.
    I tested whith a live cd debian 11 and the same case
  4. Is this an issue that happened recently or was it always like that? Have you contacted Toshiba?
  5. I've always had this problem since I have a laptop 2 years ago, if I have already sent emails and I have spoken too but they never give me a solution can always say that proves illogical things that I know will not work the same way the test and the result is not working.
  6. How do you test the transfer speed? If it still is under warranty, you could send it back to get it fixed.
  7. i test the transfer with teracopy and other software for HD test speed, i dont have warranty :(
  8. You didn't provide any info about your laptop, but is it supposed to be faster than USB 2.0 when connecting a hard disk through the eSATA interface? Are your external drives much faster when you connect them through eSATA on a different system? How long does it take to transfer a single large file (a couple GB is a good test)?
  9. Yes i have a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4844 with eSATA port, i test with other system for example(Live cd Ubuntu) but the same speed, for example i transfer 4.7Gb(movie in iso file) and 10min to 15min more less
  10. According to the specs, that laptop is equipped with "2 USB 2.0 ports with 1 eSATA/USB combo port". Since it's transfer speed isn't specifed, did Toshiba ever tell you that the eSATA port should be much faster than a USB 2.0 port? They clearly state that the USB 3.0 port is up to 10x as fast as a USB 2.0 port; therefore you should use the USB 3.0 port (and a USB 3.0 external hard disk) if transfer speed is important.
  11. looking for internet and when i talked with toshiba support they say the same, the eSATA port is faster than USB 2.0, eSATA transfer speed is "3 Gbps". I now this is not true but i want the more speed than USB 2.0
  12. Since the laptop no longer is under warranty, there isn't much that you can do. However I'd give the USB 3.0 port a try. Have you tried your external drives on a different PC?
  13. Yes i tried external driver with other PC and speed is 60MBps, i moved 700Mb in 30 seconds
  14. Have you tested the speed of your internal hard disk? How long does it take to copy a 1 GB file to the same hard disk?
  15. if i have copy/paste 700Mb speed is 26Mbps for other hand is move or cut/paste same file speed is immediate, only appears file in other side dont see speed in transfer in internal hard drive
  16. Your internal hard disk is rather slow; therefore you can't expect high performance on the eSATA port. As a last test, check the speed (Sequential test) of an external hard disk using CrytalDiskMark: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/CrystalDiskMark.shtml It can also be used to test the internal hard disk if you want to compare with an external disk connected to the eSATA port.
  17. I think foud problem my internal driver is SATA I and external is SATA II, what do you think?
  18. It isn't a problem as SATA I has a tranfer rate of 1.5 Gbit/s which is much faster than the hard disk transfer rate installed in that laptop. The problem most likely is that your internal drive is slow; that obviously affects the transfer rate when copying files between the internal and the external drives. What are the CrystalDiskMark results for both the internal and the external hard disks?
  19. Sorry GhislainG but where can find this option that would you like know in CrystalDiskInfo it have several option? i used HD Tune Pro.
  20. HD Tune Pro is fine. What are the results for both the internal and external eSATA hard disks?

For CrystalDiskMark, select the drive to be tested (C: is the default) and click the Seq button. It could take a couple minutes before the Read and Write MB/s is displayed. You can run the other tests if you like, but we are mostly interested the sequential tests.
  21. Hi!
    Internal Driver:

External Driver:
  22. It proves that your external drive is fast when reading (way faster than USB 2.0). However the write speed is very low. Are you encrypting data or running an anti-virus that kills the write speed? Is the other external hard disk as slow when writing to it?

I tested an old and slow 80 GB drive connected through eSATA and I get 56.21 MB/s Read and 56.09 MB/s Write. I would expect over 90 MB/s when writing to your 1 TB drive.
  23. Hi! i tested again but now i enable cache:

after:

but when i moved 4Gb(Movie in ISO file) and speed is 36Mbps:
  24. Best answer
    The speed is about right. You can't match benchmarks when moving a file; your transfer rate is approximately 80% of the maximum transfer rate of the internal drive which is fine. Is disk caching enabled for the internal drive?

To improve performance, you could replace the internal drive by a faster one (7200 RPM) or by a SSD.
  25. Best answer selected by jjhernandez.
  26. Thks a Lot GhislainG i will think in change my internal driver for one 7200 RPM
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops Toshiba Storage