New nvidia cards are a joke

peter2004

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
has any one seen the new cards well i got on hands on one thanks to my brother and let me say it's as fast as an 8600gt or 8600gts this is a joke i guss ati wins again

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GT+220+ :fou:

hannibal

Distinguished

Well actually they didn't. They use the same technology as other 200 series cards, but at this moment they are little overprized. But as they are cheaper to manufacture, the situation will change.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
No, they are great cards for the performance level intended. They are for people who want something more than integrated graphics but don't want to pay a lot for a video card. To call them "crap" because they target the low end of the market is just silly.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

I think the joke might be on you and not on Nvidia. Did you check the specs? 128 bit? 48 stream processors? No magic there, no hidden fine print. For $10 more you could get a 9800 GT for more than twice the performance.

xaira

Distinguished
these cards are for nvidia what the 4770 was for ati, they are using them to learn to master the 40nm process, they are new 40nm dx10.1 parts, not die shrinks, they arent meant to compete, theyre meant to be an alternative to people with htpcs who have tiny power supplys, wait till gt300 and then compare

randomizer

Champion

For their intended purpose these cards are fine. That's not the issue. The issue is that they are priced too highly so that cards in the same price range far outperform them. What customer wants to pay more for less, even if they won't notice the difference?

Point here is, theres cards out now, some by ATI, some by nVidia, that show similat perf, for similar prices, and even better pricing in some cases, thats the problem.
If you want it for your coffetable for show, or whatever use it has, it costs too much for doing so lil, and doesnt even render DX10.1 right anyways

rockyjohn

Distinguished
This weeks THG review stated:

With the GeForce 9500 GT GDDR3 and Radeon HD 4650 available for about $50, and the Radeon HD 4670 retailing for about $70, that means the new GeForce GT 220 GDDR3 would be a recommended buy at about $60.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-220,2445-18.html

The cards are currently selling at newegg for $70. A $10 difference. Wow what over pricing. And the GT 220 outperformed the 4670 in Fallout - so what if you like that game? And the GT 220 uses 20% less power under load - what if you choose to be energy efficient? And the temperatures are substantially lower - what if that is an important consideration? The latter two may be particulary more important considerations for someone buying the cards for other than gaming - especially if you are looking for a quiet, efficient HTPC system. And if gaming is your bag - then hopefully you can pay a little more and get a much better card than the GT 220 or the 4670.