How to start a computer that has been unplugged for a while

sherrik

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I am not sure any of the catagories are correct but here goes. I have a dell computer that was unplugged for about 3 years. I am in need of the information on it and was trying to set it up again. When I plugged it in and tried to turn it on, all I get is a blinking yellow light where the power button is.

Is there something I can do to get this to boot?

You can try removing the motherboard battery for about one minute with the power off. This will reset the bios, and possibly get it to the post screen. If it freezes there, at least copy all the info you can about the memory, cpu, etc. Try using the f key listed to enter the bios; save and exit.

sherrik

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

thanks Oldie, I tried that but now I cant even get the yellow blinking light to come on. any other suggestions?

sherrik

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

How do I pull the hard drive?

Usually with a No. 2 Phillips screwdriver. :D

Open the old computer. Remove the hard drive. Open the new computer. Temporarily connect the old hard drive to the new computer using the appropriate power and data cables. Turn on new computer and transfer the files. Turn off new computer. Disconnect old hard drive. Close up new computer.

Alternately, if you have no plans of using the old computer, permanently install the old drive in the new computer.

sherrik

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Ok, I got the yellow blinking light back on. I dont know anything about the inner workings of a computer. the ard drive is a boxy looking thing about the size of an old 8 track tape right?

I also have a My Book, external hard drive for back ups and storage. I bought this after I disconnected the old PC. is there some way to hook this up to the old computer and get it to start up, At leaset power up?

I only have a Gateway laptop to work with so not sure how i could hook up the hard drive..

sherrik

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Did you read the instructions in the manual on how to properly connect the front panel plugs? (Power switch, power led, reset switch, HD activity led) Polarity does not matter with the power and reset switches. If power or drive activity LED's do not come on, reverse the connections. For troubleshooting purposes, disconnect the reset switch. If it is shorted, the machine either will not POST at all, or it will endlessly reboot.

this reset switch they are talking about... Can you tell me where it is?