LGA1156 really is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Well yeah i just read that thread about how AMDZone is full of "deniers" so i kinda had to write this down..

For this thread tho, im kinda tired and i will pretty much skip the tons of benchies that show how much the phenom II 955 and i5 750 are so close that a 600$ difference (yes, 600$, and you will understand why.) is pretty stupid.

So anyway here's the picture, made by intel.

corei7_desktop_roadmap_2010.jpg

As you can see, LGA 1156 socket will not receive any new cpu, not for 1 or 2 quarters, but for the whole year of 2010.

The i5-670 is a slightly higher clocked cpu but with less memory cache, and it will come at the same price as i5-750. This means, while AM3 and LGA1336 will upgrade to 6 and 8 cores, LGA 1156 will stay with the same CPU for a whole year. Now what does that means?

If you want to upgrade computer, You will have to buy a new MOBO, a new CPU, and probably RAM (because if you decided to buy i5, your not going to buy amd amirite :pt1cable: so your gonna have to get yourself another stick of ram for your trichannel i7-920 :) ) and the total (prices from newegg canada) is a nasty 578.79, by choosing the lowest prices in the market, AKA, Lowest quality (the mobo doesnt even have SLI certification.)

For what advantage? none. A few minutes in zipping or video encoding (something that a MAINSTREAM buyer RARELY uses ANYWAY.) The OMGSOPOPULAR 4GHz overclocking.
OH I forgot that.

AMD recently released a new stepping for phenom II 965, wich is now 125W, and can easily reach 4GHZ also. The price? 200$. Thats 20$ less then i5 (no big deal, but still is less.) So please quit with that 4GHZOMGOOOSHHH it's kinda old...

Notice, I know some people take into account that 2 more cores wont be a noticable increase in performance.

Bullshit.

Take for example the gulftown from intel.
Yes 6 core/ 12 threads won't be a noticable difference since we need programs that are compatible.
But the cpu also comes with MORE CACHE. And this people, is a clear advantage. 12MB instead of 8. Thats a shitload of performance. So don't say that 6 cores and 8 cores are meant to die, because they WILL bring extra performance. It's not just about the cores, it's about the whole architecture.

So yeah bottom line is :
LGA 1156 really is dead =/ I mean so many ppl couldv bought phenom II 955 with a good am3 mobo for the SAME PRICE as their intel computer, and would be future proofed but nooooo everybody hates amd for some reason i dont understand.

EDIT: I had to mention that i7-920 also is a good deal (if you need all of it's performance of course)

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
sorry but mods arent stupid enough to ban someone because he post facts.

Didnt you see the image mister smart ass?

NO NEW CPU FOR THE 2010 ROADMAP.

So yeah LGA 1156 is dead. If your only here to flame please get the fock out.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I am confused...

Why isn't the i3 on that chart?

Did I make up i3 in my sleep or are they really coming out with it?

Thanks

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
lol... wishful thinking from the peanut gallery. let's re-examine its "death" when the retail SKU's are dominated with this "dead end".

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Of course i3 is coming.

mm I think some people don't quite get what I mean by "dead"

By dead, i mean no new highend product.

i3, and even "clarkdale" are both lowend,mainstream products. Most of the people who bought LGA1156 bought a i5 or a i7 with it. Kind of a worthless buy since you won't have upgrades in a year (we don't even know if they will have upgrades in 2011 either)

So those people arent gonna buy i3 you see?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
As you can see, LGA 1156 socket will not receive any new cpu, not for 1 or 2 quarters, but for the whole year of 2010.

The i5-670 is a slightly higher clocked cpu but with less memory cache, and it will come at the same price as i5-750. This means, while AM3 and LGA1336 will upgrade to 6 and 8 cores, LGA 1156 will stay with the same CPU for a whole year. Now what does that means?

If you want to upgrade computer, You will have to buy a new MOBO, a new CPU, and probably RAM (because if you decided to buy i5, your not going to buy amd amirite so your gonna have to get yourself another stick of ram for your trichannel i7 ) and the total (prices from newegg canada) is a nasty 578.79, by choosing the lowest prices in the market, AKA, Lowest quality (the mobo doesnt even have SLI certification.)

For what advantage? none. A few minutes in zipping or video encoding (something that a MAINSTREAM buyer RARELY uses ANYWAY.) The OMGSOPOPULAR 4GHz overclocking.
OH I forgot that.

AMD recently released a new stepping for phenom II 965, wich is now 125W, and can easily reach 4GHZ also. The price? 200$. Thats 20$ less then i5 (no big deal, but still is less.) So please quit with that 4GHZOMGOOOSHHH it's kinda old...

Notice, I know some people take into account that 2 more cores wont be a noticable increase in performance.

Bullshit.

Take for example the gulftown from intel.
Yes 6 core/ 12 threads won't be a noticable difference since we need programs that are compatible.
But the cpu also comes with MORE CACHE. And this people, is a clear advantage. 12MB instead of 8. Thats a shitload of performance. So don't say that 6 cores and 8 cores are meant to die, because they WILL bring extra performance. It's not just about the cores, it's about the whole architecture.

So yeah bottom line is :
LGA 1156 really is dead =/ I mean so many ppl couldv bought phenom II 955 with a good am3 mobo for the SAME PRICE as their intel computer, and would be future proofed but nooooo everybody hates amd for some reason i dont understand.

EDIT: I had to mention that i7-920 also is a good deal (if you need all of it's performance of course)

What's this tri-channel memory you speak of for LGA 1156?

You claim to have posted facts, and some of what you say might be true, but a bunch of users have already had to correct you on a multitude of inaccuracies.

Now you claim that an i5 at 4GHz is not a big deal. This is quite interesting as you then proceed to claim that a Phenom II X4 965 can also reach 4GHz. The problem there is that it would that the Phenom II X4 to be clocked around 4.3GHz+ (varying on the application) to beat the i5 running @ 4GHz.

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

I think it's kinda worthless to add anything else.

I didnt wish anything, nor did i create some kind of fake information or whatsoever.

EVERYTHING IS IN THE PICTURE.
Thank you very much.

oh and, nobody cares if the SKU is dominated whatsoever.
Thing is, there will be NO UPGRADE for a whole year.
What will you do when you won't be able to upgrade while your fellow AMD "fanboys" will have a 6core,morecache higherclocked cpu and laugh at you? Your only choice is to buy a whole new system, unless you wan't to wait and hope for a new roadmap for 2011?

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

I wasnt talking about LGA 1156, I said that since you bought a i5, you won't get yourself a AMD system (Obviously.), so you will have to buy another stick of ram since the only choice left for you is the LGA1336 i7. (I know I wrote only i7, but i was refering to the LGA1336 one, mybad)

Also, multitude of inacuracies? take it easy dude it's only one here...

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
1156 is specific to mainstream whereas 1366 is high end. it may have been said once or twice. do you suppose AMD will eternally use their existing socket?
if you have to upgrade you brand spankin new CPU in 6 months then you got took when you bought it. silly point to try to make if you ask me.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I still kinda confused.

I think I understand what your saying as in the future of the chip will get phased out as chip advance. (for 1366)

But you can't say highend and mainstream at the same time.

I am a AMD Fanboy out of practicality. I simply can't afford highend Intel products.

I am right in the middle of mainstream demographic of computer products.

With the LGA1156 coming out with i5's with HT they will be better (higherend) products then AMD. So you can see why I am a little confused.

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Moot point.

It has been said millions of time, AM3 socket will take both thuman and bulldozer CPU (6 and 8 cores)

And I know that LGA 1156 is mainstream, what was your point?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Why would someone need to go LGA 1366 after owning an LGA 1156 platform?

Are you talking performance wise? Because AMD fanboi speaking about performance being an indicator is humorous to say the least.

Let's talk facts.

A Phenom II X6 will be the same (architecture wise) as an Istanbul based processor EXCEPT that it will support DDR-3 memory. We know that DDR-3 memory offers no real performance advantage to the AMD Phenom II architecture (looking at Phenom II X4 940 and 955 at the same clocks).

So for all intents and purposes, the Phenom II X6 will perform around the same as Istanbul. Well... an Intel Xeon X5550 (2.66GHz) BEATS an AMD Opteron Istanbul 2.6GHz in nearly every single test by a wide margin.

We know that LGA1156 based Core i7s generally perform around the same as LGA1366 based Core i7s... So in other words current LGA 1156 based Core i7s are ALREADY faster than the AMD Phenom II X6 based processor.

So why would a user HAVE to go LGA1366?

You fail at logic my friend (Intel is not offering any newer models because they really don't have any incentive to do so. AMD has got NOTHING in the works to truly challenge Intel's current dominance in terms of performance... well at least until Bulldozer arrives).

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Wich i5 will be better then AMD?
Are you talking about clarkdale???

That chip is a joke...
4mb of cache, 3.4ghz, and an integrated graphic... (who the hell buy's integrated graphics? not to mention INTEL INTEGRATED (the worst graphic in history of mankind) )
How can it perform against the upcoming 6 cores of AMD?

bboynatural

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Thats kinda going far.

The cpu isn't out yet, so saying that it will perform the same as a phenom II is pretty much stupid.
This is nothing but speculation.

Also, most people upgrade computer once every year AT LEAST.
The point of this thread was to show that there is NO UPCOMING CPU FOR LGA 1156 IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE, THIS MEANS, YOUR ONLY CHOICE WILL BE TO GET A WHOLE NEW SYSTEM.

This means.

You couldv bought either a AM3 system OR a LGA1366 and upgrade only cpu once in a year.
You won't be able to do so with LGA 1156 since their IS NO UPCOMING NEW CPU.
THIS MEANS, your next machine will have to be bought from scratchs.

Now don't go into performance thingy, cuz apart from zipping and video encoding (for mainstream, yes, they obviously do that twice a day.) the performances are pretty much the same (not to mention gaming where phenom II 955 sometimes beat i5 AND i7, refer to my older posts for a shitload of benchies if you dont believe)

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

my point is you have no point. you wouldn't ever consider buying an Intel CPU to begin with and you throw down this fake outrage about no further CPU upgrades on Intel's roadmap for a year. your argument isn't going to compel a prospective buyer as the market the 1156 targets generally go 2-3 years between upgrades. obvious flamebait and have no idea why i posted here at all lol. jennyh makes much more compelling arguments than you do.

notty22

Distinguished
They are going to make 32nm quads for the 1156 platform. I knew this and still bought my combination now. I will not be upgrading regardless. I will watch with curiosity and maybe jealousy if o/c's can take the new 32nm chips to 5 ghz . Whats left out of the picture is that all the chips are going to be cheaper than AMD's 955 right now. So the enthusiast who wants to o/c will look at the i5 with less cache for less than the i750 is going for now and o/c the hell out of it. Some who don't want to o/c will have different options.

Hyperthreading is going to be sprinkled aroun in some options as well.\

IntelRoadmap.jpg

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Your gaming benchmarks are based on Graphics card bottlenecks. Have you not seen the latest tests with the 5970s where the Phenom IIs get their asses handed to them?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Why WOULD LGA 1156 need more CPU models? They are getting 32nm variants of the current CPUs (that's a fact). But why would you need a ton more CPUs when there is absolutely NO competition from AMD?

You mention that a user could have bought an AM3 or LGA1366 CPU and only upgraded once a year.. what are you talking about exactly? i7 based processors on the LGA1156 are far faster than anything AMD has (and I feel comfortable claiming that they will be competitive with what AMD will have in the X6). So why would a user HAVE to upgrade it?

You get the SAME performance AMD will have in Q2 2010.. today!

jennyh

Splendid

You mean this one http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=869&p=23 ?

Oh no wait, the phenom II's spanked the i7's in that didnt they... :lol:

However when clocked at 3.0GHz and beyond, the Phenom II X4 really picked up the pace, and in many cases was able to outclass the Core i7.

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

I know I started drinking earlier then normal today, but I have no clue what this means.

Can someone translate this for me please. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.