Acer Aspire 5100 Keybord and Mouse Issue

knoker7777

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
HI i Have an Acer Aspire 5100
It Has a the Keybord and mouse issue of no response on Boot i cannot enter bios

I have a spare keybord and battery and have changed these

I have tried hard resets and booting with HD with , battery only power supply only

ive tried holding cntk esc at boot

Ive tried using a USB keybord

The machine works fine besides the keybord boots from HD and boots from DVD Rom

The Keys FN 6 turn the screen on off Black and the keys FN Brightness work so i can change the screen brightness so i am convinced its a bios issue but without a keybord or mouse i cant update the bios Unless i can ?

Any help would be great as its doing my head in

lleach823

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I have the same problem with the keyboard and the mouse on the Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook computer. I CANNOT EXPLORE or go thru ANY BIOS OPTIONS or "explore" anything else BECAUSE THE KEYBOARD IS DEAD! NO RESPONSE! NO MOUSE PROINTER MOVEMENT! No USB function. No nothing. The computer boots just fine. Everything works EXCEPT the keyboard and the mouse. I can't do a doggone thing. However, I am using the Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook computer rite now. I'm typing this on it. How? I went out and bought a 2-Port USB card bus adapter, also known as a PCMCIA USB adapter. I plugged my USB keyboard and mouse into the PCMCIA USB ports and I'm able to use my laptop this way. Of course, this works only when Windows loads. I still can't access the bios via pressing F2. I am tempted to update the bios via bios update software but something tells me to leave well enough alone and use my computer as I am using it now.

lleach823

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I have the same problem with the keyboard and the mouse on the Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook computer. I CANNOT EXPLORE or go thru ANY BIOS OPTIONS or "explore" anything else BECAUSE THE KEYBOARD IS DEAD! NO RESPONSE! NO MOUSE POINTER MOVEMENT! No USB function. No nothing. The computer boots just fine. Everything works EXCEPT the keyboard and the mouse. I can't do a doggone thing. However, I am using the Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook computer rite now. I'm typing this on it. How? I went out and bought a 2-Port USB card bus adapter, also known as a PCMCIA USB adapter. I, of course, plugged in the PCMCIA adapter in the adapter slot. I plugged my USB keyboard and mouse into the PCMCIA USB ports and I'm able to use my laptop this way. Of course, this works only when Windows loads. I still can't access the bios via pressing F2. I am tempted to update the bios via bios update software but something tells me to leave well enough alone and use my computer as I am using it now.

G

your motherboard is fried. there are only two options, repair through one of the ebay vendors or replace the motherboard -again through an ebay vendor

the gist of it is that these laptops eventually succumb to heat damage and the chipset driving the USB (keyboard is a usb device) is toast; which is why installing the PCMCIA works, however this solution is short term.

My laptop's damage also had other effects like "white" noise coming from speakers when hard drive spins and eventually, the OS just crashes.

I forgot to mention, I recently picked up a new board for $99. Don't make the mistake of assuming you have SATA or PATA otherwise, like me, you're buying a new HD too.

Although $99 seems a lot, it is much cheaper than buying a whole new laptop considering everything else is in great shape.