How much of a performance benefit would I see with Crossfire?

How much of a performance benefit would I see with Crossfire? Is it worth it?
14 answers Last reply
More about performance benefit crossfire
  1. You should be more precise buddy...
    What card?
    Do you own one right now?
    Are you starting from scratches?

    heres some intel.
    Crossfiring with the 4800serie have reached a peak at 70% gain the most recent games showed an interesting 80% gain.

    SLI was always better to start with and it's pretty normal to see 80% gain, sometimes 85%.

    Now with the new HD5770, you get sometimes 100% scale, making the HD5870 look obsolete.

    It alldepends on the game/tweacking/hardware ect ect
    But overall, yeah it's worth it.
  2. As far as choosing between a new card or cards, a single card configurations will generally be better. The only time they aren't is if somehow two lower priced cards end up with more performance than the high-end card for less money. Regardless, that happens seldom as they normally price them where that won't happen.
  3. Not sure that is the case tbh.

    Two lower specced cards usually outperform a higher specced single card, otherwise nobody would bother with crossfire or sli at all?

    Crossfire/Sli brings its own issues too. The question of whether or not it is worth it is down to the individual I think.
  4. Sorry for not specifying my attention to price, not performance.

    Er, further clarification: For the price, you're going to get better performance out of a single card configuration. Not to mention less power draw and heat, assuming you're not using a previous card.
  5. Well in that case you are right sure. It's more of a balancing act though. I own a crossfire mobo and that makes my choice of a 5850 easy, because I'll get another 5850 later and it will totally blow away a 5870. I will have paid more overall, but I'll have gained a lot more too compared to buying a single 5870 now.

    edit- what i mean is, pay £200 for a 5850 now, pay £160 for one in 3 months time perhaps. That is £360 compared to £310 right now for a 5870, and I'm pretty certain 5850 crossfired will annihilate a single 5870 way past the extra £50 I will have paid.
  6. jennyh said:
    Well in that case you are right sure. It's more of a balancing act though. I own a crossfire mobo and that makes my choice of a 5850 easy, because I'll get another 5850 later and it will totally blow away a 5870. I will have paid more overall, but I'll have gained a lot more too compared to buying a single 5870 now.


    I agree.
  7. bboynatural said:
    You should be more precise buddy...
    What card?
    Do you own one right now?
    Are you starting from scratches?

    heres some intel.
    Crossfiring with the 4800serie have reached a peak at 70% gain the most recent games showed an interesting 80% gain.

    SLI was always better to start with and it's pretty normal to see 80% gain, sometimes 85%.

    Now with the new HD5770, you get sometimes 100% scale, making the HD5870 look obsolete.

    It alldepends on the game/tweacking/hardware ect ect
    But overall, yeah it's worth it.


    Sorry, I just bought an HD-5870 last week for a new build, everything is up and running but I haven't really had time to play with it much. I just considered adding a second 5870 for X-Fire and was wondering if I'd notice any kind of performance boost using only one 24" HD Monitor.
  8. normally from the bm's ive seen you be looking at about 30% give or take on the game. personaly i wouldnt bother, if u needed more power sell it and get the 5870x2 less overheating less power needed less cost ........ than 2 5870's
  9. You would see a very noticeable improvement by adding another 5870, especially at higher resolutions.
  10. that 5870 will basically handle anything you throw at it on a 24-inch monitor.

    What kind of CPU are you running and what does your powersupply look like?

    For now..., i would say that crossfire would not benefit you, but in a few months when DX11 games emerge and the price drops for the 5870, you'll want to add another...
  11. jonpaul37 said:
    that 5870 will basically handle anything you throw at it on a 24-inch monitor.

    What kind of CPU are you running and what does your powersupply look like?

    For now..., i would say that crossfire would not benefit you, but in a few months when DX11 games emerge and the price drops for the 5870, you'll want to add another...


    I'm running an I7 975, with the Antec True Power Blue 750 PSU. I had to buy the first 5870 to beat the RMA deadline on other components I'd already purchased, so I couldn't wait for a 5870x2. For now I think I'll be OK. Haven't had time to play with it much, and I won't get the full benefit till Windows 7 comes out.
  12. jlaavenger said:
    I'm running an I7 975, with the Antec True Power Blue 750 PSU. I had to buy the first 5870 to beat the RMA deadline on other components I'd already purchased, so I couldn't wait for a 5870x2. For now I think I'll be OK. Haven't had time to play with it much, and I won't get the full benefit till Windows 7 comes out.


    Windows 7 IS out.
    Well anyway they will add DX11 in vista..
  13. jonpaul37 said:
    that 5870 will basically handle anything you throw at it on a 24-inch monitor.

    What kind of CPU are you running and what does your powersupply look like?

    For now..., i would say that crossfire would not benefit you, but in a few months when DX11 games emerge and the price drops for the 5870, you'll want to add another...



    I own an xfx 4850 512m. Do you think it pays (performance wise) to purchase another to bring me up to 1gig. Or is it more visable to get a new top of line 5870 ?
  14. You can add a 4850 for 100 dollars, VS 400 for a 5870. This might get you closer to 5850 performance. I would go that route to save money. It will be a way to experiment and see if you like crossfire before trying something even more expensive some day. Do your favorite games support crossfire ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance Crossfire Graphics