Sign in with
Your question
Solved

With four slots to be filled 1gb x 4 or 2gb x 2 ???

Last response: in Memory
March 17, 2010 10:03:40 PM

I am puzzled as to best memory set up having two channels and four slots would four sticks of 1 GB be any different to 2 sticks of 2GB.
Also DDR2 being two channel and if DDR3 is triple channel why do they only put Four slots on board and not six.

More about : slots filled 1gb 2gb

Best solution

March 17, 2010 10:39:52 PM

2 sticks of 2GB are better for overclocking-stability on DDR2 on a 4x slot mobo. The reason behind it is that the memory controller needs to do "less" work to access all your memory (think of it as having to visit 2 buildings instead of 4 to see the contents). Also by using 2 sticks instead of 4 you probably use less power, less heat and a little bit more airflow in your system.

Regarding DDR2 and DDR3 you have confused the meanings of the RAM with the memory channels on a board. The number of channels on a board has nothing to do with the memory, it is based on the memory controller capabilities. So the memory controllers who were built for DDR2 at the time had a maximum two channel access. The same thing is valid for DDR3 on P55. The memory controller for the Core i7 though can access 3 channels at once, improving performance. They could have given DDR2 controllers more channels as well, but they reason they do not is that the CPU has already have enough bandwidth and does not need more. In most cases even a dual channel is overkill. If you see benchmarks for the Core i7, triple channel vs dual channel, you will see that besides generic benchmarks, in real life there is not much of a difference yet. But at least it makes the design futureproof.
a c 78 } Memory
March 17, 2010 10:40:21 PM

2 modules are better than 4 and you might be able to use less voltage or tighter timings. DDR3 is triple channel on X58 motherboards. It provides little, if any, performance boost over dual channel.
Related resources
March 18, 2010 5:05:39 PM

The only thing I'd like to add to what darkguset said is this...

I think it should be clarified that not all i7s support triple channel memory. It depends on which socket the CPU resides. Socket 1156 = dual channel while Socket 1366 = triple channel... and unfortunately for consumers... i7s come in both varieties.
March 18, 2010 11:12:31 PM

rodney_ws said:
The only thing I'd like to add to what darkguset said is this...

I think it should be clarified that not all i7s support triple channel memory. It depends on which socket the CPU resides. Socket 1156 = dual channel while Socket 1366 = triple channel... and unfortunately for consumers... i7s come in both varieties.

True, i just brought it as an example, but the response was getting too big to fully explain so l left it there, lol
:) 
March 19, 2010 4:05:19 AM

A board working with four 1gb sticks is like working a mum working with four 1 year olds, and 4 gigs in two 2gb sticks is like working two 2 year olds... Definitely one of the above stated is easily manageable... 4 is a hand full, 2 is easier to work with basically...
March 29, 2010 11:16:05 AM

Best answer selected by grarcher.
!