Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Z68x-ud3p-b3 intel core i5 2500k oc fails

Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2012 9:58:34 PM

i have tried few tutorials on what bios settings i should put my bios for oc to 4.0-4.5
and i get crashed all the time ..

my spec are :

intel core i5 2500k now on 3.30ghz
motherboard: z68x-ud3p-b3 f7 version
ram:2 stock of kingston 4gb (8gb) 1333
hdd:samsung 1TB
cooler:sytche mugen 2
power suplier:700wat

what settings i should use at the bios settings for 4.3 or 4.5 without crashings or 4.0 more higher more better :D  (but without crash)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 1:31:06 AM

These were my changes and I am stable @ 4.4Ghz and I am sure I could go even further, I just don't need it. :) 

Core Current Limit: 300

Intel SpeedStep: Disabled

VCore: Auto (gave me the best voltage results)

Multiplier: 44

Load-Line Calibration: Level 5

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

And it was that easy. What CPU cooler do you have and what is the exact PSU?
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 2:35:08 AM

There's no point in turning off speedstep. You shouldn't have to change any settings but multiplier and vcore.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 3:23:20 AM

k1114 said:
There's no point in turning off speedstep. You shouldn't have to change any settings but multiplier and vcore.

Yeah, but I just prefer it off. Also, spread-spectrum should be turned off just because it can interfere with other things. I believe the Core Current Limit is how many watts the CPU is allowed to pull, which I have heard just to set to 300. So that is what I did. Load line Calibration was set to level fine automatically, but that should be turned on. Just smart to turn the few extra things off/on, but you generally don't need to.
m
l
January 2, 2012 9:36:21 AM

here are my spec :

CPU : Intel Quad Core I5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHZ 1155 6MB + Scythe Mugen 2
motherboard : GZ68XUD3PB3 Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 for 1155

PSU : SS-750AT Seasonic SS-750AT 750W Active PFC 4X PCI-E 62A/12V Single Rail
RAM : K4G1333 Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 2
HDD : HD103SJ Samsung 1TB Sata II 32MB SpinPoint F3
GPU : N560OC1GI Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB GDDR5 - Overclocked SLI

and my bios is f7 version what the recomended oc i should use and what values im pretty noob in these things help me plz ..
i tried a few settings i found on google and my pc crash and gave me blue screen .

now i have the default settings so my cpu is 3.3ghz :( (( :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :pfff: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 2:34:04 PM

Spread-Spectrum won't stop your OC, but disable it because it can interfere with other things. Core Current Limit shouldn't have to be touched, but feel free to set it to 300. ISS shouldn't need to be disabled, but I do anyway. Load-Line calibration should be turned on to the highest level possible. (for me level 5) Adjust the multiplier to get a higher clock and raise voltages when you get crashes. Using offset or auto voltage is good, don't use fixed.

To achieve 4.3Ghz, try this:

Disabled: Spread Spectrum and ISS can be turned on or off, whatever you want, I prefer it off

Enable: Load-Line Calibration

Settings: Vcore either in offset mode or auto, multiplier at 43, and core current limit = 300

Try that. Hope it works! :) 
m
l
a c 229 à CPUs
a c 163 K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 2:56:57 PM

The old practice of turning off Speed Step and Spread Spectrum is not applicable to Sandy Bridge.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

These are Asus Terms, Gigabyte is similar

CPU Voltage = VCore
VCCSA = QPI VTT Voltage

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency - 100
DRAM Bus Voltage = DRAM Voltage

Turbo Ratio:

By All Cores (Can Adjust In OS) - 45

Memory Frequency - Set to AUTO or 1333MHz for now - If you are using high speed memory, please still leave this setting low while we find out what the CPU can do.

RAM Timings - As per RAM Package

CPU Voltage - Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage - 1.25v - In the screen shot below, you can see that next to the CPU Voltage, there is a value of 1.224v, this is what was set on the previous restart, and once you save and exit and re-enter the BIOS, your current configuration will be shown, I decided to leave this in so you can see.
DRAM Voltage - 1.5v - Same as last time!

Some other myths:

Quote:
Below are some snippets of information that I suspect will become frequently asked questions, and will be updated regularly:

Sandy Bridge has only been around for a short time, but sadly, there is an incredible amount of confusion regarding certain aspects of voltage adjustment. The information below, comes directly from Asus, Gigabyte, Corsair and Intel PMO (Platform Memory Operations), and to the best of my knowledge is 100% correct at the time of writing this. Of course, if any new information comes to light, I will update this section.

Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.
Sandy Bridge does not require there to be a maximum of 0.5v between the VDIMM value and the VCCIO and VCCSA values when 1.65v voltage modules are used.
BCLK Overclocking will not murder your CPU or motherboard. There is absolutely no evidence to support the rumours that adjusting the BCLK upwards on a locked or unlocked CPU will kill/damage it. What will happen, is that the system will become unstable, and you will lose control of things like your hard drive or graphics card, resulting in instability, corruption or the inability to start up properly. As with any overclocking induced instability, simply reduce the overclock and you will find that normality resumes - If you have suffered a SATA problem, then you may have to run your Windows repair console to get the boot loader back.

m
l
January 2, 2012 4:12:40 PM

can you give me the exactly value for each field ?

i tried agian and my pc crash and when i go to bios i get oc failed because of voltage error somthing like that in red window??
m
l
January 3, 2012 7:59:29 AM

help pls i want oc to 4.3 - 4.5 what exactly valus for each field if you need picture i can take a shot just tell me if you need .. :(  :( 
m
l
January 3, 2012 11:27:23 AM

why u cant tell me the exactly values i gave you the my system info ..
i didnt understand nothing from those guides
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 2:39:48 PM

Settings are not universal. The same exact settings may work for one person but not another, even if they have exactly the same parts. This is not a perfect world where every part is perfectly identical. We can give you a range but you need to stability test. At multiplier 45, vcore should be 1.25-1.30v.
m
l
January 3, 2012 3:05:48 PM

what you mean multplier 45 i have level 1 - 10
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 3:54:02 PM

Reason no one can give exact voltages is that each CPU, even from the same batch, will have slightly different characteristics. Same-same for Motherboards. Although not as hard as the older CPUs to OC (ie E6xxx) it is still trial and error.

@ jack. On Ram voltage. The 1.5V ± 5% comes from Intel specs sheet on the SB CPUs with a foot note that this is based on calculations and MAY be revised. Myself, I'm using 1.60 volts.

Added: You have a good PSU; However, just to verify what is your +12V under load. @ stock, Run Prime95 to load the +12 V and to check stability of your cpu/memory. +12 V should be No lower than +11.4 V (i Use 11.6V as a minium)
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 7:04:19 PM

Multiplier=cpu clock ratio.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 7:23:43 PM

jsc said:
Even though the "K" model CPU's are easier to overclock than previous models, you still cannot cookbook the overclock. It still takes a fair amount of knowledgable trial and error. That is why we call them guides.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266189-29-sandy-bridg...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

Oh sure you can! 2 cups of heaping multiplier, a few sprinkles of voltage, and a dash of luck! :lol:  Just kiddin'.
m
l
January 4, 2012 3:49:52 AM

so you at least can give me the fields i have must to change for overclock to 4.3
and what are the ranges values so i can try for 4.3ghz ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2012 2:12:15 PM

We already gave you some and guides on how to overclock. Look back at our suggestions. I am not sure what more you want really. You adjust the multiplier as you wish, change the voltages to get it stable, disable/enable a few things, and then you test it. Read up on guides, and take the advice we gave you. We cannot just tell you what to use and it will work. All chips are different. Try what we said first, and then get back to us.
m
l
January 4, 2012 9:08:38 PM

yea but in the voltage settings there are more fields i need vto change besides the core voltage like dram voltage i dont know what the range value for these if i put auto its good ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2012 12:36:22 AM

niba10 said:
yea but in the voltage settings there are more fields i need vto change besides the core voltage like dram voltage i dont know what the range value for these if i put auto its good ?

For RAM voltages, auto or whatever the RAM voltages specs are will work great. The only voltage for a minor overclock the you need to touch is the Vcore. That will increase the CPU voltage. I left mine on auto, as it did not overvolt my CPU, but, your scenario may be different. Leave the rest of the voltages to auto unless you know what they do and that you need them. It sounds like you don't though, so don't touch 'em.

Happy overclocking! :) 
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:21:11 AM

ok it seems to be stable on 4.5ghz at vcore : 1390 its good or not ??
but i dont see any difference between 3.3ghz and 4.5 ghz -.-
m
l
a c 158 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 4:28:30 AM

1.39? That's definitively too high, I did give you a range. You won't notice a difference unless it's a cpu intensive program, some games won't even be affected. You will want to stability test with prime95.
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:39:52 AM

ye i ran prime95 at 21 hours with no crash ...
its 1390...
why its no good?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 12:48:06 PM

Reason 1.39 Not to good - Maximium Vcore voltage for I5-2500k is 1.500 V
1.390 is ONLY 7.3 % below this max rating. The recommended max is 1.400 and you are within 0.010 Volts form this value. Myself I would limit my OC to what ever can be obtainted using a max value of 1.350 which is at least 10% below Absolute Max.

Also what are the 4 core temperatures when running prime 95. Prime95 will give you temperatures that are higher than say running a Game, and close to temps running a video encoding session that approaces 100% cpu utilization on all four cores.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 3:10:31 PM

Intel recommends 1.52v maximum for that CPU, and that is with a great cooler. I wouldn't go past 1.43v myself even if my temps are in the 60s load. 1.39v is a bit high for that OC. I run mine @ 4.4Ghz with 1.32v maximum and some people would say that is still a little high. Use a offset voltage instead of auto. At least the CPU is stable. Running 1.39v shouldn't hurt the CPU with those temps, as they are pretty good running Prime95, but you could probably get the voltage lower, making your CPU last longer.
January 6, 2012 5:28:17 PM

HostileDonut said:
Intel recommends 1.52v maximum for that CPU, and that is with a great cooler. I wouldn't go past 1.43v myself even if my temps are in the 60s load. 1.39v is a bit high for that OC. I run mine @ 4.4Ghz with 1.32v maximum and some people would say that is still a little high. Use a offset voltage instead of auto. At least the CPU is stable. Running 1.39v shouldn't hurt the CPU with those temps, as they are pretty good running Prime95, but you could probably get the voltage lower, making your CPU last longer.

yay i oc to 4.4ghz at 132v like yours and it stable to :p 
should i reduce more cvoltage ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 5:42:55 PM

niba10 said:
yay i oc to 4.4ghz at 132v like yours and it stable to :p 
should i reduce more cvoltage ?

If your can reduce your voltage, of course! A lower voltage is always better because it won't generate as much heat and will keep your CPU alive longer. 1.32v shouldn't really effect the life anyway, but that a great improvement from 1.39v! Good job! :)  :)  :)  :)  :D  :D  :D  :D 
m
l
January 6, 2012 5:53:28 PM

Best answer selected by niba10.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 5:57:46 PM

Thanks for the best answer! :) 
m
l