Sign in with
Your question

4 gig RAM register as 3327 mb RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2010 11:06:25 PM

I have a Biostar TA790GXB mobo with built in graphics. I installed an external graphics card XFX Radeon 1GB that is working well and I believe I disabled it from the bios, however still showing 3327 mb of the 4 gig memory installed (RAM) on Vista 32bit.
I Device Manager I am not seeing the onboard graphics card so that must mean it is disabled, so I am still without a clue as to why my RAM is not appearing at its spec.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
March 18, 2010 12:17:30 AM

You're using a 32-bit OS, it can't use more than a total of 4gb including graphics card ram. Upgrade to a 64-bit OS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 1:44:49 AM

Yep, 32-bit OS limitation To get all of it, you'll need a 64 bit OS. However, in reality the loss of 700MB of ram will have negligible effect on the performance of most apps, so unless you can get Vista/7 64 for free, I'd recommend not worrying about it.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 8:50:49 AM

Thanks!

I thought that was probably the issue but wasn't sure since it wasn't XP but a newer OS where I thought they'd fixed that issue.

I have XP 64 bit so I might consider installing it as I can't say I am crazy on Vista.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 12:18:54 PM

spiraling said:
Thanks!

I thought that was probably the issue but wasn't sure since it wasn't XP but a newer OS where I thought they'd fixed that issue.

I have XP 64 bit so I might consider installing it as I can't say I am crazy on Vista.

No, no, no. Don't install XP 64 bit, there is no support and limited driver availability for it. It you want to go 64 bit, might as well bite the bullet and go Windows 7.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 1:17:37 PM

I'd really recommend not worrying about it for now. The performance hit is small, wait to upgrade to 64 bit until you can get a recent OS like 7 64.
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:58:33 PM

I've been running XP64 on another machine and for my purposes it zips along fine. I know Microsoft wants to cease support for it but it is very light in comparison to their current bloatware so if the drivers take I might go that route.

I can't justify yet another OS purchase after my wife coughed up $$$$ for the Vista I put on hers now.

Too bad I bought 4 gigs of ram (2 sticks of 2gig each) and now I am only getting to use 75% of it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 4:03:15 PM

Well, if you already have XP 64 no sense in not trying it. The biggest drawback I've heard is driver support, however you can easily check if your components have drivers for it or not, and if they do, it is a non-issue.
m
l
!