i5 2500k 4.5Ghz OC Requesting feedback

k-kid

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hi! :)

So after looking at guides on how to overclock i5 2500k/i7 2600k's, both on forums and on Youtube, I decided to go for an overclock on my 2500k. I aimed for 4.5 GHz. Here are the settings I used:

(These settings are on an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo running the 1.20 BIOS)
-Short Duration Power Limit(W) = 230
-Long Duration Power Limit(W) = 200
-Core Current Limit = 200
-Internal PLL Overvoltage = Enabled
-Spread Specturm = Enabled
-CPU Core Voltage was set to offset mode
-Offset Voltage = +0.010v
-Load-line Calibration = Level 5
-C3 and C6 are disabled
-C1E is Enabled

I was able to boot up fine with these settings, so I proceeded to test for stability. I used RealTemp to monitor my temperatures, used HWMonitor to monitor voltages, used CPU-Z, and used Intel Burn Test for stress testing my CPU. I ran Intel Burn Test on standard and I set it to run 30 times. The test ran successfully with the max CPU temp reaching 67C. My voltages during the test where at 1.30v with the voltage dropping to 1.27v, which were the lowest they ever dropped to during stress testing.

1.) Is Intel Burn Test a good way to check for stability? If it is, do you think I ran it enough times? Is the standard setting reliable to check for stability?
2.) For 4.5Ghz, are my voltages alright? Temperatures?
3.) Are my settings in the BIOS okay? Is there anything you think I should change?
4.) If possible, what settings in the BIOS can I change to get lower temps under load?
5.) And finally, would you say that this is a stable overclock?

saratj1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I'd turn the intel burn test up to the extreme or highest setting and run it another 30times or run prime95 large fft's all night,

Otherwise the overclock looks great, voltage and temps are good, you still have some headroom, but imho the difference in heat and voltage probably wouldnt be worth an extra few hundred mhz.

If you still pass the stress tests take the voltage offset off and stress it some more to see if you can do without it.

k-kid

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Alright then. Right now, I'm running Intel Burn Test on the maximum setting for 30 runs. It has currently passed 10 runs without any problem. It takes like 2 minutes for a single run to complete though. So to wait for the rest is gonna be quite a while. :(

k-kid

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Okay. So I finally completed 30 runs of Intel Burn Test using the Maximum setting. The test successfully completed. There were no bluescreens, nor did my computer freeze. :)
My max temp did change though. With 30 run of Intel Burn Test under the standard setting, my max CPU temp was 67C and my voltage kept at 1.30v with the lowest drop being 1.27v.
But with 30 runs of Intel Burn Test under the maximum setting, my max CPU temp increased to 72C and my voltage kept between 1.27-1.28 volts, with the lowest drop being 1.26v and the highest voltage spike being at 1.30v.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

But based on my results on the maximum stress test, do you guys think that this is a good overclock? Or can I aim for lower temps?