Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Change read only attribute on DVD/CD

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2011 12:10:01 PM

Hello,
Has anyone found a way to get rid of the read only attribute on a dvd/cd? The purpose of trying to put Outlook archive email on a DVD to save space on a server or PC is wasted since you can't change the read only. While it serves as a backup for the email, having to copy it back to your desktop or server to read the email is both time consuming and defeats the original purpose.

Best solution

a c 93 G Storage
August 3, 2011 12:53:48 PM

any CD-R or DVD-R are Read-Only

you might want to try a DVD-RW or a Flash drive.

a c 289 G Storage
August 3, 2011 1:03:05 PM

snake1955

For me, Outlook (2003) will let me read Email in folders that are read-only. What happens if you try to open archived Email from a DVD?

As emerald wrote, once you write to the dvd/cd, it's fixed. That's how they work. If you need to read and write, buy a Flash drive (and make a backup copy; there are a lot of messages about failed Flash devices on the forums).
Score
Related resources
August 15, 2011 1:57:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have over 100 people that use Outlook 2007, so I can't afford to buy them all sticks. Also, storage is limited on thier PCs, so I have the archives on the network. What I decided to do is purchase a USB DVD+RW portable to put each users archive files on. Once copied, I'll simply give them the DVD/RW disk and tell them to keep it in a safe place. If they need to view the archived email, they can check out the portable USB DVD+RW drive to read if from their pc. Then I can delete their archive from the server.

snake1955
Score
August 15, 2011 1:58:36 PM

Best answer selected by snake1955.
Score
a c 180 G Storage
August 16, 2011 10:32:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!