Sign in with
Your question

ReadyNAS vs. DIY NAS Server

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2011 1:58:51 PM

I´ve been thinking for quite a while about having a small NAS Server at home (I´ve considered many times buying something designed for it, but found them too expensive… or building a small setup myself, which most of the times seemed also like too much time-to-build/money-to-spend) and now I´ve found an offer at a well-known on-line shop that’s brought up the issue again:

http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/1747670/art/netgear/servidor-de-almacenamient.html

That´s NetGear´s ReadyNas Duo for 129 € (~140ish delivered). It´s quite old, but on the other hand seems like it could do the job with a rather small investment.

I essentially want a shared storage for back-ups and media sharing (1 gaming rig, 2 laptops, 2 smartphones at home), and for 24h Bittorrent downloading. On the other hand I don’t know whether now-a-days this kind of money could also get me a cheap atom or i3 based DIY build (freeNas or some lightweight Linux distro), which could do all that, plus perhaps some other tasks in the future if I wanted (such as VPN)… always controlled from another computer (wouldn’t attach monitor/keyboard to it).

Low-noise low-power is essential, as is the stand-alone downloading (right now I only download with my gaming rig while I´m doing something else… or leave it just running utorrent alone for a while which is a bit overkill).

Thanks in advance for your help
a b G Storage
August 4, 2011 1:29:54 AM

The self-contained NAS devices are small, simple and generally easy to manage. A standalone Linux server will be more versatile and probably much faster, and maybe a pain in the butt if you aren't a Unix/Linux person.
Related resources
August 4, 2011 4:51:54 PM

FireWire2 said:
Yu can get $99.00 NAS with GbE here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266120-32-best-soluti...

Thanks FireWire2 ! Looks like a good deal.. but on the other hand the support/add-ons you might get from the community if you choose a well-known retailer it something I´d value as well. On the other hand the thread looks interesting and has made me consider a new player:

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS211j&lang=enu

cadder said:
The self-contained NAS devices are small, simple and generally easy to manage. A standalone Linux server will be more versatile and probably much faster, and maybe a pain in the butt if you aren't a Unix/Linux person.

Thank you cadder. I´m a linux user (actually my phone is maemo), and use every now and then unix at work... but it means more work/time anyway for anyone; I´m ready to exchange that for more versatility and performance, as long as we are talking about a similar price point and power consumtion. But, if in addition to the extra work going to stand-alone server is gonna cost me considerably more money, and is gonna be more power hungry then I rather go for the self-contained NAS.

Thanks to the 2 of you again :) 
August 5, 2011 2:09:24 AM

I just built a FreeNAS server for home out of an old HP Pentium III mini desktop. So far it's working great. (2) 1 TB drives in RAID 1. I have about $100 in it total. I really like FreeNAS... I installed it on a 2 GB thumb drive and boot from it.
a b G Storage
August 5, 2011 11:40:12 PM

extremepcs said:
I just built a FreeNAS server for home out of an old HP Pentium III mini desktop. So far it's working great. (2) 1 TB drives in RAID 1. I have about $100 in it total. I really like FreeNAS... I installed it on a 2 GB thumb drive and boot from it.

Totally agree! There is more add-on/scripts than any commercial NAS out here
!