Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i5 750 lags up to 25% usage playing HD videos?

Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2009 2:36:33 AM

I just recently bought a intel core i5 750 2.6ghz Quad core, with 4gb ocz ddr3 1333mhz ram stick dual channel, nvidia geforce 250 1gb PCI E 16x, and I have all the codec's needed to play any video, Im just clueless on why my CPU goes up to 25%, is this for any HD video either on youtube or hulu or any HD video, I know it sounds dumb but i just spent $200 on this cpu and was wondering why, im on Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, freshly Installed with all the correct drivers, also have a Asus p55 LE mobo, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Windows media player, or VLC, or Media Player Classic, All use the 4 cores, Process Affinity is all 4 cpus, my problem is why the program using 25%+ cpu usage to playback an hd video on this pc
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 3:03:51 AM

Why process is fully loading one core?
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 3:32:20 AM

What HD video is it? DXVA-HD?

Because if it's not DXVA-HD compliant, it won't use the GPU to decode and instead will use the CPU to decode.
Related resources
December 17, 2009 3:35:46 AM

really? what does that mean for Youtube Videos in HD either 720p or 1080p?, or even the 1080p Movie Trailers I Downloaded? and How would I find out if they are DXVA-HD Compliant?, And another thing, how could I play the Youtube HD vids using the DXVA? I used Google Chrome and IE and Firefox, all use 25% cpu playing back a Youtube HD or Hulu HD video?
December 17, 2009 4:09:19 AM

yea ty, I already had this seeing im a pc enthusiast, I got my nvidia drivers updated, got my nvidia Phsyx as well, and found this flash 10.1 hd gpu accelerator a week back, im just wondering, is the HD videos i play on youtube or hulu, do the videos "ONLINE" HAVE TO BE DXVA compliant to use minimal cpu?, are those the only ones that will play back using GPU?, or will all HD videos playback with GPU rendering?, sorry for asking too much, simple as this, how come hd videos i play on youtube, some use 25% cpu, but i just played one now and it only used less than 5%, is there a fix for this or just something im gonna have to deal with? is it the video itself encoded crappy and not DXVA-HD and says its an HD video but its really not? thats the only reason i can think why i use alot of cpu playing back hd videos on youtube, ty
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 4:22:40 AM

skater44surf said:
yea ty, I already had this seeing im a pc enthusiast, I got my nvidia drivers updated, got my nvidia Phsyx as well, and found this flash 10.1 hd gpu accelerator a week back, im just wondering, is the HD videos i play on youtube or hulu, do the videos "ONLINE" HAVE TO BE DXVA compliant to use minimal cpu?, are those the only ones that will play back using GPU?, or will all HD videos playback with GPU rendering?, sorry for asking too much, simple as this, how come hd videos i play on youtube, some use 25% cpu, but i just played one now and it only used less than 5%, is there a fix for this or just something im gonna have to deal with? is it the video itself encoded crappy and not DXVA-HD and says its an HD video but its really not? thats the only reason i can think why i use alot of cpu playing back hd videos on youtube, ty

Videos played off of YouTube as played on a Flash Player. There is no way getting around the high CPU usage for YouTube videos (Flash 10.1 and the latest nVIDIA drivers is as good as it gets).
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 4:38:13 AM

I just watched the dark night trailer on youtube. In youtube 1080p it put a full load on one core. The same video in 720p ranged from 15 percent to 36.

And this video actually loaded my cpu in the 90 percent range. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTMirS6L_c&feature=resp...

Both of these results with Opera as the browser. I loaded the same dog video in firefox and it was in the 70s.

A 1080p mkv file I have uses about 30 percent in vlc and a 720 about 10-15.

This on a system with e6420 dual core at 2.6ghz and a geforce 7300 GT gpu.

HD video on youtube from my brief encounter with that dog puts a heavy load on the cpu. It is using 25 percent because one core is maxed out to play it back. Play that dog video and see what happens. In the past I never ever had a browser go over 50 percent in task manager on a dual core. I was shocked that I saw anything above 50 percent. Either the browsers are not multithreaded or Windows 7 is doing it.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 11:15:57 AM

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Are you getting any playback issues at all, or is this just an e-peen situation where you don't know why your CPU is having to do some work after you spent $200 on what is essentially a mainstream product?

Bear in mind that a lot of HD video, regardless of specific format, are all using some variant of x264 encoding, and that codec is VERY CPU intensive, unless the playback application can offload processing to a GPU.

Seriously, if you're not getting playback issues then just chill.
!