Old Nobilis Computer

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hey,

I have an older computer (not the one I'm on). It's a Nobilis with some Asus cheap-o Motherboard. The processor is a single core AMD Sempron. I'm unsure exactly of the socket and model. I know it's a 1.6Ghz processor, so I'm thinking maybe Sempron 2600+

There is no graphics card currently, but I believe there's a PCI x16 slot, and only 512MB RAM (DDR2 I think)

If I get a graphics card, and more ram will I be able to overclock this computer, how high do you think it would be possible to overclock the processor? (hoping for at least 2.5 Ghz)

If you download cpu-z it will let you know things like mobo/chip model, socket etc,
I'm not sure what options you have in the bios for adjustments but unless everything is locked so you can't fiddle about you should be able to tweak it a bit, 2.5GHz is a tad optimistic though, you'll need some good cooling for that :p
I would definitely recommend more ram as a first step, you will find that makes a big difference straight off, a graphics card will help with games etc, but doesn't affect your overclocking potential
Moto

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
use pcwizard or hwinfo32 to check the hardware.

And adding graphics card and extra ram will improve pc performance but will not help in overclock

check your bios some option related to cpu, ram, voltages

try systool, cputweaker, clockgen, cpufsb, asus doctor or anything else that can help you to overclock this.

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hey,

Well I don't have a VGA cord to hook up the tower, but I took a look inside.

It's an Asus K8V-MX/S OEM motherboard. Socket 754 (AMD), has an AGPx8 slot, 2 PCI slots, and only allows for 2GB Ram

total. So Overclocking the processor seems rather pointless. Was wanting to overclock to make an old game run better,

but only 2 GB Ram is stupid. I need a minimum of 4GB. Thanks for the advice anyway. Guess I'm just going to have to build

my own computer. Done with all these pre-built pieces of junk advertised as "gaming" machines, yet can't run ***...

Thanks for the help anyway.

Wow lol now that is a old brand, they used to make very very solid cases and am using one now that is almost 13 years old! :eek: It is a shame that it almost takes two modern cases just to equal when it comes to how much metal it has. Very thick and very sturdy.

TRENDING THREADS