Hi,

Currently I have to following system:

AMD A64X2 4200+ (5% OC with no additional volts) + Freezer 64 Pro
DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
3GB RAM (4 Sticks)
HD4870 1GB
640GB HDD + 250GB HDD
DVD Burner
Lots of USB peripherals (Joystick, wheel etc... All 8 USB ports are occupied)
and an Enermax Liberty 400W which holds everything very well.

I want to upgraded my system with:
Core i5 750
Asus based P55 Mobo
8GB DDR3 1333 (4 Sticks)

Will the Liberty 400W be able to run this system or I'll have to buy a new PSU?

Thanks in advance.

More about : liberty 400w

a b ) Power supply
December 17, 2009 7:03:42 AM

400W is a bit on the small side and since I've never heard of Liberty I wouldn't even try it. Look for 500-500W PSU from a well rated manufacturer. Corsair, PCP&C etc.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 17, 2009 9:27:20 AM

lol, my bad on the manufacturer, a bit hungover after a gig...

Give it a try. Worst comes to worst it isn't enough and won't game.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 17, 2009 9:58:46 AM

It does look like the Enermax Liberty 400 watt power supply will be able to handle your upgrade.

Here are the official ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire system.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
m
l
December 17, 2009 11:22:35 AM

Thank you for the detailed reply, I'm glad to hear to it would most likley hanld my upgrade!

More over, I used the the Outervision PSU Calculator (Read that it's the best PSU Calc out there) and it says the my current system is using more power than what my system would use with the upgrade!

I think I'll take the risk and upgrade without a new PSU, thank you both!
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 17, 2009 12:19:46 PM

The only reason I think the Liberty 400 watt might be okay is the advertised current (amps) on the +12 volt rail should be sufficient for the cpu and gpu.

If I were you I would be prepared for a psu upgrade.
m
l
!