• Motherboards
  • Chipsets
  • Compatibility
  • Processors
  • Intel
Last response: in Motherboards
March 18, 2010 11:51:57 AM

Hi friends,

I have Pentium D processor 3.4GHZ, which is running on intel DG31PR chipset.
Now i want to upgrade my processor and want to purchase Core2Quad.

My question is that can this chipset perform well on core2Quad?

According to intel site, chipset is compatible with processor but one of my friend who is a computer shop retailer says that you can run Quad on chipset but it will not perform well. According to him compatibility and performance two different thing. He suggested my to buy core2duo. Is it really so? and it is worth less to buy core2quad?

Please Reply

More about : intel dg31pr compatibility issue

a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 8:01:51 AM

Dunno what your friend is on, the core 2 quad will perform faster in that board regardless of chipset than a core 2 duo... at multithreaded apps at least, what would you be using it for? and what are the rest of the systems specs?
m
l
March 19, 2010 8:39:42 AM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
Dunno what your friend is on, the core 2 quad will perform faster in that board regardless of chipset than a core 2 duo... at multithreaded apps at least, what would you be using it for? and what are the rest of the systems specs?

I want to use it for gaming dear. I also want to mention, I don't want to do overclocking.

U asked specs: Pentium D 3.4GHZ/4MB cache, Intel DG31PR Board, 2GB DDR2 800MHZ, 1GB ATI 4830, Cooler Master 500watt Extreme PSU, Western Digital Black 500GB\32MB cache and Western Digital Green 640GB\64MB cache.

I m worried because he says, Quad on this board even don't run window 7 well and he advised me to buy an expensive chipset or if i want to keep this board then buy cor2duo because mother board is only capable of this. I have only budget to upgrade the processor. I don't want trust him, Please give me advise, What should i do? :sarcastic: 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 8:43:38 AM

The chipset is fine, as long as the board can support the cpu, which it can... and just rechecked intels site and it can run core 2 quads upto 95w tdp

Since its for gaming, go with a e7xxx/8xxx CPU, quads will cost you more and give you less performance in most games except for a few CPU dependant titles like GTAIV so the core 2 duo would be better
Whats your budget?
March 19, 2010 9:17:13 AM

Best answer selected by itshammad.
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:28:03 AM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
The chipset is fine, as long as the board can support the cpu, which it can... and just rechecked intels site and it can run core 2 quads upto 95w tdp

Since its for gaming, go with a e7xxx/8xxx CPU, quads will cost you more and give you less performance in most games except for a few CPU dependant titles like GTAIV so the core 2 duo would be better
Whats your budget?

Thanks brother. one last thing. By the way GTA-4 is exactly the problem.
I m going to buy Core2Quad-Q9400 i.e 2.66GHZ, 6MB cache, 1333MHZ FSB and it fits in my budget too.
it required 0052 bios version and i have more updated 0069 version.

Intel online compatibility tool result is "Board fully compatible" .

now as u told that cor2duo is much better. then is it a right choice or should buy e7xxx/e8xxx?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 4:38:55 PM

Your friend is an idiot. Core 2 quad is same thing as core 2 duo except quad has 2 more cores.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 1:08:34 AM

daship, boards that support core 2 duo dont always support core 2 quads, and the quads consume more power, which sometimes the mobos cant support.

@shammad,
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=87&p2=76&...
comparison of e7500 vs q9400, the quad beats in gaming by a few frames, and by quite a bit in a quad optimized game like FC2, q9400, and is the best valued core 2 quad on newegg
m
l
!