SSD and HDD combo suggestions?

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Currently I only have a standard WD 500GB HDD in my system and I feel it's letting the rest down a bit. So, I'm looking to get a SSD that everyone seems to be raving about at the minute, I'm also going to get a new 2TB HDD, I was lloking at this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-hitachi-0f12117coolspin-5k3000-sata-6gb-s-5900rpm-32mb-cache-8ms-ncq. i know it's only 5900rpm and not 7200 but I thought the SSD would make up for this as that would give me a huge speed increase. Anyway if anyone can recommend a suitable 2TB HDD and SSD, I would also like to know wether I should get 2x 1TB HDD and set them up in RAID for a faster system overall, rather than one 2TB.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to HDD's!

Thanks guys and girls!

First, the SSD won't make up for a slow HDD; they will do different things. Get a 7200-RPM HDD.

Second, please read these (if you have not already) : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssd-caching,2966.html .

The current common practice is to have OS and apps on the SSD for snappy loading, and data on the HDD for less-expensive storage. I'd rather have all my data on the SSD, but can't afford 4 TB of SSD. When I get around to it, I'm going to put my most often updated documents on the SSD.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
OK thanks I will read them. But do you have any personal recommendations because you seem to know what your talking about with regards to storage devices

I don't. For HDDs, I always tell people that one 7200 RPM drive is as good as another. And I don't keep up with SSDs well enough to have a preference. So I am brand- and model-neutral, myself. My SSD is a 128-GB Crucial RealSSD C300, but by now that is so last-year.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
OK, thanks. I'm just reading the articles you suggested now. I think I'll get a cheaper one with a low storage space and high write and read speed, as this should speed up startup times and such? And the 2TB will be where I keep my main files. But I believe I would have to reinstall Windows to the SSD? Finally is it better if I get a SATA/II/III HDD? Does it make a lot of difference, or will it in the near future?
Thanks

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
My current setup is as follows:

- (1) 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (For my OS,Programs,Most used files)
- (2) 2TB Western Digital Black (Setup in RAID 1 for mirroring)
- (1) 1TB Western Digital Black (Strictly for backup)

First of all, as suggested above, if you can't afford a 120GB or 240GB SSD (which most people can't) your SSD will be used primarily for your OS, and your applications, and possibly a few games. This SSD will not only speed up your computer boot time, but also speed up your commonly used programs.

I would strongly suggest a 7200 RPM drive, even if it's just used for storage. Because if you are only going with a 60GB SSD, you will likely have some overflow of games & applications to your storage drive. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

As for recommending HDD's, I can only speak for my experience but I love my WD Black's. That being said though I have never had a problem with the Seagate Barracude 7200.12's. All companies have a certain percentage of drive failure, and it could happen to anybody at anytime... which is why backup is important. Don't let this previous sentence scare you... that was not the point.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hi again, and thanks for all the help. I think I'm actually going to go with the 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD which you mentioned is in your setup JordoR, read a few reviews and such and it looks to be one of the best 60GB SSD's out there for the money. With regards to HDD's I see WyomingKnott's point about brand not really making much different and will pickup the cheapest 2TB hdd I can find. Thanks again for all the help!

mekunekud

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

If you are getting a 1TB harddrive then pick up the Samsung F3. It outperforms any of it's competitors and is only challenged by the Caviar Black series , which cost nearly twice as much for a small upgrade.

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Thanks for the tip but isn't it only SATA I making it slower? Or is there no t a discernible difference between SATA I, II and III yet? Please bear in mind that I want my system to be future proof. Thanks.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
You can technically use an SSD to speed up a harddrive with the Z68 chipset, although it really only makes sense if you have a small SSD to use that isn't useful as a boot drive.