Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Chassis Fan Connector

Last response: in Motherboards
March 18, 2010 1:11:38 PM

My Asus P5KPL AM/PS does not support chassis fan connection.
My CPU and Motherboard heat up to 65 degree and 50 degree at idle which i know is very high.
The cause is inadequate air circulation.
How can i connect 2 Chassis fans to get the circulation up.
Processor is a new(3 days old) E7500 ( Core2Duo 2.93) with stock fan and stock thermal paste.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated :D 

PS: Temperature measured using Core Temp and units in degree celsius

More about : chassis fan connector

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 1:44:19 PM

If your CPU temps are that high, the best way to get them down is an aftermarket CPU cooler. If you aren't comfortable installing one, there are other options.

Make sure your current fans aren't clogged, and blow the dust out of the tower.

You can install extra chasis fans, if there are available empty spots.

You could remove any available front faceplates.

You could remove the side of the case.
March 18, 2010 2:39:55 PM

thanks 4 the reply aford10. :) 

my processor and fan both are new, 3 days old, and fan fins are not clogged.
I have removed my chassis side panel but still no drop in temperature.
I am thinking of an after market CPU, from cooler master/ thermalright but bfore that i would like to make sure is there is any other low cost method as my budget is too low as i am a student and i invested on the processor already.
How can i install chasiss fan as i hv no connector on motherboard. I have no chassis fans installed. The only coolers are the stock CPU fan and the fan of my PSU.
Thanks for the reply. :) 

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 2:54:32 PM

Is this a custom build or an OEM PC? If it's custom, what model is the case? If it's OEM, what brand/model?

You could very well have a bad sensor. Take a normal box fan, and point it at your tower with the side off. Put the fan on high, blowing right into the tower. If the temps don't change, you likely have a bad sensor.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 3:10:48 PM

Is this your MOBO ?? - ( Linkie ) - If so it has the CPU_fanand Chassis Fan connextors in the upper left by the Ram slots and another PWR Fan connection to the right of the 4 pin CPU power connector on the MOBO in the PIC of the MOBO.
m
l
March 18, 2010 3:11:15 PM

It's a custom built one.
The Tower is an easily available Zebronics Bobby. After market Supercomp 500W PSU
I have two chassis fan slots on the side and 1 on the rear of the tower.
m
l
March 18, 2010 3:13:58 PM

JDFan said:
Is this your MOBO ?? - ( Linkie ) - If so it has the CPU_fanand Chassis Fan connextors in the upper left by the Ram slots and another PWR Fan connection to the right of the 4 pin CPU power connector on the MOBO in the PIC of the MOBO.

Thanks for the reply.
No That's not mine.
it's ASUS P5KPL-CM. mine is ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS
m
l
March 18, 2010 3:16:03 PM

I tried blowing air into the tower as u said. It decreased the temp about 15 degrees. that's how i determined that what i needed was proper circulation of air..
:D  Thanks
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 3:32:45 PM

sworoop1990 said:
Thanks for the reply.
No That's not mine.
it's ASUS P5KPL-CM. mine is ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

Just looked on New egg and your MOBO has the same 3 fan connectors on the MOBO in the same places -

m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2010 4:04:09 PM

Most case fans don't need to be plugged into the motherboard. You should be able to mount them on your case, and plug in the 4pin molex power connector from the PSU. The cha_fan ports on the motherboard are for temp readings and fan speed control.
m
l
March 18, 2010 11:18:56 PM

All my Molex connectors are like

And one of the smaller one

The larger ones, i think are used for hard drives and Optical drives and smaller one is for the floppy drive. All females

m
l
March 18, 2010 11:22:04 PM

@JDFan
No my botherboard does not have any connection for fans other than the CPU fan.
There is one connection named CHA_FAN but there are no pins(No they're not broken)
Thanks for reply
m
l
March 18, 2010 11:27:23 PM

My Fan connector is like this one
3Pin Female

Thanks and Sorry for taking so much of your time
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 1:28:20 AM

sworoop1990 said:
My Fan connector is like this one
3Pin Female

Thanks and Sorry for taking so much of your time

Those are designed to plug into the MOBO in the places that I circled in the earlier Pic - If the ones on the MOBO are broken off (they should have pins on them and if they do not then they have at some point broken off !! ) EDIT : Just looked again and the MOBO on newegg also shows those connectors as missing (the solder points are there but no plug - guess they wanted to save a few pennies on production !!) - you can splice the wires onto a molex connector and use it to run them but you will not get any feed back from the software programs as to the speed they are running or you could buy a fan controller to plug them into and use it to control the fanspeed ( Like this 4 fan 5.25" bay fan controller which has a single molex connection and 4 fan connections )

Notice the Pins on the back in the pics from newegg - the MOBO connections should look the same :

m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 2:10:18 AM

Yep. Must have overlooked the fan controller link. That is an option.

I must caution though, sunbeam is a garbage company. The fan controller is cheap, so there's not much risk, but they make crap for quality.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 2:30:51 AM

aford10 said:
Yep. Must have overlooked the fan controller link. That is an option.

I must caution though, sunbeam is a garbage company. The fan controller is cheap, so there's not much risk, but they make crap for quality.

True - but you can't really mess up a fan controller too badly !!
m
l
March 19, 2010 11:50:13 AM

@JD Fan : I think i'll go with the solution u suggest manually attach the fan connectors with the molex pins by cutting it off the pins and attaching
@aford10 : I'll also go your idea of buying a new CPU Cooler.
m
l
March 19, 2010 11:54:28 AM

@JD Fan @ aford10 : if i go for buying either of the two instead of 8 USD i wud have to spend import duties on the cables which may amount to several more dollars. The CPU cooler from Cooler master and thermalright is available easily in India :) 

Selecting aford10's as the best answer.

I ask the moderators to mark the thread as solved (Coz i don't know how to do that)

Thanks
m
l
March 19, 2010 12:08:03 PM

Best answer selected by sworoop1990.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2010 12:27:05 PM

Thanks for the vote :) 

If you need anymore help, just let us know.
m
l
!