Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2011 8:59:13 PM

This hard drive is making noises, but it's brand new out of the box. It makes that old hard drive grinding sound now and then. Not a clicking, but the sounds you would hear with hard drives back in the old days. So, my question is, does this particular hard drive just make noise because it's a louder model and/or because it's a larger volume ( 1TB drive ) or should I RMA it with newegg?
August 3, 2011 9:38:19 PM

Hi,

We have a few of those drives, it should not make a grinding noise like you say.

It sounds like it could have been hit while being delivered, to be safe I would claim on warranty
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
August 3, 2011 9:39:06 PM

Hi there,

The WD Cavier Blacks are very quiet, and you rarely hear of any problems with them. I have 2 of them, and they are running all the time, don't make any noise.

Here is a link to audio noises HDD's make, with the first section being Western Digital. Might take a listen and compare sounds with yours.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

If it is a brand new WD Caviar Black, I'd get it replaced, no if or ands! Unfortunately, they are not like good bottles of wine, they don't get better with age!!
m
l
August 3, 2011 11:34:25 PM

I couldn't stop laughing when I heard those sounds lol! Anyway, my drive isn't make any of those sounds. Don't laugh, but the sound(s) are similar to the ones that a computer from Fallout New Vegas or FO3 would make. I've never heard these sounds before so I wasn't sure. Several people on newegg.com said these sounds were normal hard drive sounds. But, since you're saying it's best to replace it since it should make sounds. I'm with you, so I guess I'll RMA it. Thanks for the help. I love the site!
m
l
!