Sign in with
Your question

Can someone explain fan control panels?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2012 11:58:27 AM

Hey all. My Antec case is coming loaded with two TriCool fans (140mm and 120mm), with three spots for additional 120mm fans. I like the idea of having my fans running on low speeds unless gaming because I don't want to create a vortex in my media room. As such I've been looking into ways to control fan speed like fan control panels that mount into a 5.25" bay.

Some general questions I have about this are:

1) Do I need to have four-pinned fans to work with a panel?
2) Do TriCool fans get set to the lowest or highest speed?
3) Are there panels with temperature sensors near the fan that adjust speed accordingly based on temp?
4) Is there anything else I should know when looking to buy this?

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 12:16:41 PM

Most fan controllers use 3/4pin plugs yes, this helps keep them compact, imagine four molex plugs side by side :) 
If your fans have multiple speed settings, put the to the fastest and use the controller knob to alter speed, if you set it to low, it will only allow certain voltages through and potentially blow the resistor
You can get fan controllers with temp sensors, I'm not sure of one that actively changes speed to suit, but there probably are some out there
Moto
January 2, 2012 12:20:57 PM

Don't know about your specific fans but
You can set up fans (on most motherboard) in bios to run automatically based on temperature.
You can use software to control speed of fans (i use program called SpeedFan for example)

Bay mounted fan controller use 3 pin fans no problem, more expensive come with temperature sensors as well
If you to buy fan controller i would suggest simple 4 knob one,
the once with screens and advanced options wore more annoying then useful for me
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) something like that

My is usually almost on max low when not playing games,
Related resources
January 2, 2012 12:58:19 PM

I went to the Asus website and looked up the M5A99X Evo and it has the following fan ports inside.

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin, 2 x 3 -pin)
1 x Power Fan connector(s) (1 x 3 -pin)

So on my Antec Three Hundred Black Steel, it has a top-mounted fan... a rear mounted fan, two front mounted fans (which the case instructions say to use for inflow) and a side mounted fan near the GPUs. Which fans should I hook up to which ports? The largest fan is the top mounted 140mm fan, so should I set that one up with the 4-pin Chassis fan? Also, would it make sense to somehow link the two front-mounted fans to the same pins so they fire up at the same time and speed to provide more inflow?

I've never cared about cooling in a case but this time I really want to make sure I'm doing everything right since I hope to SLI two cards and overclock the CPU. If I can get by with doing all this in the BIOS then I will.

Thanks for your help so far guys.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 1:11:34 PM

The cpu fan obviously is intended for your fan on the heatsink,
you can connect any of the others to the socket you can reach, the fourpin one will report the fanspeed if you use a fourpin wired fan, if you don't have a fourpin fan just use a three pin in there, for a reasonable overclocking though you'll probably want to swap your cooler out anyway
Moto
January 2, 2012 1:11:58 PM

I would say top + rear+ side hook up to Chassis
in my case i have 2 120mm front fans but they very quiet so i don't even control them just leave them on 100%
If you have low RPM quiet front fan just leave them be
a c 182 K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 1:16:42 PM

Antec TriCools included with your case have adjustment buttons on the back of the case.
It's all prewired,plug them into your psu molex and you're good to go.
Select whatever speed you want,i've owned a 300 and currently run a 902 with the exact same fans and case controls.
Low speed is quiet and cools very well,seldom do i ever use medium and i've never used high other then just to try it= too loud.
Where are you buying your 300 US or Canada?
Special edition units are available for the 300 in these countries.
Antec Three Hundred Illusion
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec Three Hundred AB
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6...
January 3, 2012 12:01:54 PM

My 300 is just the basic that you can pick up on newegg. I was looking at the Illusion but I decided against it due to all the blue lights. I figure it'll cost as much to order two 120mm fans with the basic 300 rather than pay a bit more and get blue fans.

The case I did order doesn't have spots on the rear for the fan speed adjustments. I think I might try to fab something for the case so I can lead the buttons through the back.

Anyways, thanks for the help all. I'm going to try hooking all the fans up to the motherboard and if I can't get adequate control that way then I'll pick up some fan panel.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 3:42:52 PM

no probs, glad to help and great to see that you're up for a bit of modding too :) 
Moto
a c 182 K Overclocking
January 3, 2012 10:09:37 PM

eturnal said:
My 300 is just the basic that you can pick up on newegg. I was looking at the Illusion but I decided against it due to all the blue lights. I figure it'll cost as much to order two 120mm fans with the basic 300 rather than pay a bit more and get blue fans.

The case I did order doesn't have spots on the rear for the fan speed adjustments. I think I might try to fab something for the case so I can lead the buttons through the back.

Anyways, thanks for the help all. I'm going to try hooking all the fans up to the motherboard and if I can't get adequate control that way then I'll pick up some fan panel.

Well then the fans have a wired 3 speed switch.
Mine work fine on low = been awhile since i had a 300.
!