Sign in with
Your question

Serial communications from Windows Virtual XP

Last response: in Windows 7
December 17, 2009 10:10:40 AM

I am using Virtual XP (inside Windows 7) to run PsiWin2 - a 'legacy' backup program for Psion PDAs - to backup up my Psion Revo. I have a USB-Serial converter which the Device manager (in both Win 7 & Virtual XP) says is working OK. I have checked the baud rates are the same on the PC & Revo and have set PsiWin2 to check the COM port I have allocated to the converter. However I cannot get the Revo to communicate with PsiWin2. Where might the problem lie? Any / all suggestions are welcome. p.s. It works fine on my old XP machine!
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2009 10:32:05 AM

Have you configured a COM port for the virtaul machine? Have a look here for details.
m
l
December 24, 2009 7:53:28 AM

Ijack said:
Have you configured a COM port for the virtaul machine? Have a look here for details.

Thanks for the link ijack. In exploring Virtual XP I did note that I could configure the machine to use the physical COM1 port. I checked back with the manufacturers to see where the COM1 port might be - and as I expected, it is only available on the motherboard and hasn't been brought out to a socket on the case.

I did consider adding a serial card, since these are cheap enough, but I was told that if I break the seals on my PC case (to put the card in) it would make the warantee invalid. Since the PC is only one month old, I'm not keen to do that yet!

I'm not familiar with setting up naamed pipes. Is it possible to set one up to access the USB connector to which the working USB-RS232 converter is connected? If so, how do I do it? If you can 'point' me at a step-by-step set of instructions to do this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks & Happy Christmas.

Tallboyrip
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2009 8:45:23 AM

First thing that I would try, if you haven't done so, is to add the USB serial device in Virtual XP and install the XP drivers for it. I can't see any reason that virtual XP wouldn't then be able to control it. I've done this with a Palm organizer which didn't have Windows 7 drivers for the USB connection.

I believe that named pipes are more something that a programmer would use, rather than an end user.

A very Happy Chritmas to you and your loved ones also.
m
l
December 24, 2009 12:51:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply ijack. I can already 'see' the RS232 converter in the drop-down list of USB connections from the Virtual XP desktop, so I would have thought there was a way to connect it to the PsiWin2 software. Having said that, the software was written in pre-USB days (whereas I guess you Palm software was written when USB 1.0 was around) so there may not be a way to 'fool' the PsiWin2 software into thinking that there is a COM port accessible via the USB converter.

I'll have a 'fiddle around' with it over Christmas. If you have any other ideas to try, please let me know!

Cheers, Tallboyrip
m
l
!