Which would make the best server cpu?

Which would make the best cpu for a server, serving as Server 2008 R2 domain controller and hyper-v for 3 virtuals with these roles:
1. Windows Distribution services (Server 2008)
2. web server (Linux)
3. MySQL (Linux)

The choices are:
1. dual core with 1MB L2 cache and 6MB L3 cache
2. quad core with 1MB L2 cache and no L3 cache

This is a personal machine with only one user for experimental code development and a learning experience. Currently, I have an Athlon X2 6400+ as the cpu and am looking at upgrades. I have 6GB of DDR2-800 memory. I likely will move to an AM2+ board and reuse the existing memory.
9 answers Last reply
More about which make server
  1. Quad all the way!
  2. If you want to run three virtual machines then a quad will probably give you smoother performance in the VMs.
  3. Two things that kill VM's...not enough logical/physical processing cores and not enough memory...

quad core all the way!
  4. I figured on 1GB for the WDS server, 1GB for the web server, and 2GB for the SQL server. This would leave 2GB - VM overhead for the main domain controller. Does that sound like a good plan?
  5. dgingeri said:
    I figured on 1GB for the WDS server, 1GB for the web server, and 2GB for the SQL server. This would leave 2GB - VM overhead for the main domain controller. Does that sound like a good plan?
    Seems good...use those memory allocations to start and monitor usage under various loads in each VM to ultimately determine the ideal RAM sizes.
  6. Hmmm... only 6GB? Is there any chance of getting 8GB or more? Imo, for VMs you can never have enough RAM ;).
  7. None, buy a Xeon, or Opteron, with at least 16GB RAM and RAID system.
  8. I would if I could, but I have a budget of about $200 over the next 3 months. That's not going to get me a Xeon or Opteron or 16GB of memory.
  9. saint19 said:
    None, buy a Xeon, or Opteron, with at least 16GB RAM and RAID system.

Imo, a Xeon/Opty should only be considered if planing to go 2P only. Else a normal i7 works well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Servers CPUs Domain Controller Components