Will this ram be ok for my motherboard ?

Poponfu

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I am building a pretty crazy system for rendering and video editing soon but need to save somewhere and I think I want to do it with the memory. I do not plan on OC'ing.

Will 6 sticks of this ram here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139046

Work with this motherboard and the new 6core i7 coming out ok ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131390 <-mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115223 <-cpu

I just wanna make sure it wont bottleneck it somehow or is valueram not so bad

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If you have enough money, send me a little that I need it.

1- That RAM is CL9, is very high for DDR3. The usual for DDR3 is CL6, CL7, or CL8 at 1.65V max.
2- That mobo is very expensive, with less price you can get a better mobo that support SATA III 6Gb/s and USB 3.0, ASUS P6X58D Premium $309.99
3- That processor has not be launched to the public, so, we can't know if will work on the mobo or not.

dickcruz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

Hey buddy,
chances are that the i9's will take a while to come out and by that time the prices in motherboards will be significantly different. The i9 itself will be on a 1366 socket similar to the higher end i7 but that doesn't mean that the motherboard will support it. Intel's are very picky about the boards they're used with. RAM is upgrading to DDR4 soon so DDR3 prices will drop as well so you're better off waiting for a later time. Looks like that board will take the RAM you talked about though. So unless you're in a real hurry just hang in there. DDR3 also works better in a tri-channel config but the processor has to support it. Right now the best chipset is the one on this board but newer more efficient ones are scheduled to come out, the most important thing for what you're doing is L3 cache, RAM and the kind of chipset, you wouldn't need to overclock a processor unless you're doing something really heavy like simulations, virtual wind tinnels, etc.

Poponfu

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
1- That RAM is CL9, is very high for DDR3. The usual for DDR3 is CL6, CL7, or CL8 at 1.65V max.

Is that important for rendering/video editing ?

Hey buddy,
chances are that the i9's will take a while to come out and by that time the prices in motherboards will be significantly different. The i9 itself will be on a 1366 socket similar to the higher end i7 but that doesn't mean that the motherboard will support it. Intel's are very picky about the boards they're used with. RAM is upgrading to DDR4 soon so DDR3 prices will drop as well so you're better off waiting for a later time. Looks like that board will take the RAM you talked about though. So unless you're in a real hurry just hang in there. DDR3 also works better in a tri-channel config but the processor has to support it. Right now the best chipset is the one on this board but newer more efficient ones are scheduled to come out, the most important thing for what you're doing is L3 cache, RAM and the kind of chipset, you wouldn't need to overclock a processor unless you're doing something really heavy like simulations, virtual wind tinnels, etc.

I don't have too much time as school starts soon for me. That processor isn't that far off , the ETA on new egg is in 5 days ! Or is it ? And were you saying this combo would not support tri channel ?