Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Best Performace Core 2 Quad For Gaming?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 17, 2009 2:33:02 PM

This is a serious question for serious people. Not for people that say "get the higest clocked CPU"

I'm talking about, which was the best out the average CPU range, you know like Q6600 etc. Which would be the best to upgrade to? I was thinking on going for the Q6600 G0 (on ebay, they cost like 50 bucks used) but wanted a few opinions. Someone said somthing about the Q9400.

Any ideas? (PS: No i5 or i7... sorry.)
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 3:04:42 PM

q6700 if you can get one
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 3:10:19 PM

That depends on your budget. The current best Core 2 Quad for reasonably priced performance is the Q9550 in my opinion, but not all of the older boards support the Q8000 and 9000 series.
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
December 17, 2009 3:46:14 PM

System #1. GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :( 
System #2. GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
System #3. GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12)

System #1 might be 5% - 10% faster than System #2 with what I do with it.

$50 for a used Q6600 off eBay is a pretty good bargain - if it works.
December 17, 2009 4:16:40 PM

jsc said:
System #1. GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :( 
System #2. GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
System #3. GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12)

System #1 might be 5% - 10% faster than System #2 with what I do with it.

$50 for a used Q6600 off eBay is a pretty good bargain - if it works.


Well, I'm going to be useing it for gaming for around 2 years or so. And wanted to go Quad for that reason. Newer games will need Quad Cores to play at good rates, getting a Dual Core would be a little silly.

I had in mind the Q6600 G0, but I heard they made a few good quads afterwards. I think it was the Q9400. But I can't remember. Anyone have any ideas?
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 4:25:25 PM

jsc said:
System #1. GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :( 
System #2. GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
System #3. GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12)

System #1 might be 5% - 10% faster than System #2 with what I do with it.

$50 for a used Q6600 off eBay is a pretty good bargain - if it works.

The 6600 doesn't tend to go quite as high as the 9550 though - 3.6 is somewhat of the upper end for the 6600 (though certainly attainable for many G0s), while the 9550 (from what I've seen) can hit 3.6-4.0 somewhat regularly.
December 17, 2009 5:30:58 PM

^ you dont want to buy that q6600 from ebay. most q6600's were/are/still being overclocked at the time of this writing.

you might be getting a dud
December 17, 2009 5:34:19 PM

wh3resmycar said:
^ you dont want to buy that q6600 from ebay. most q6600's were/are/still being overclocked at the time of this writing.

you might be getting a dud


what would you suggest in its place?
a c 83 à CPUs
December 17, 2009 5:39:03 PM

Any C2Q would be fine, basically whatever you can afford. The Q9550 would be best because it has the largest amount of L2 cache, but a Q9400 would be fine as well.
December 17, 2009 7:37:01 PM

loneninja said:
Any C2Q would be fine, basically whatever you can afford. The Q9550 would be best because it has the largest amount of L2 cache, but a Q9400 would be fine as well.


Heres a wiki. As you can see, I would rather pick somthing from the Yorksfield group:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkfield_%28microprocesso...

O which ever one should I choose? :D 
December 17, 2009 7:53:33 PM

warmon6 said:
If you can get a q 9450 for a decent price, i would go for that

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=51&p2=53


Hmm, I just checked on ebay, and they seem to be blowing past £130 on bids. (around $200) And most of them have a few days remaining. Looks like a no-no. I really wanted to get a 45nm chip. I checked and the only one that sells for cheaper then the Q6600 (65nm) is the Q8200. But I heard bad things.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2009 7:58:50 PM

godbrother said:
Hmm, I just checked on ebay, and they seem to be blowing past £100 on bids. (around $160) And most of them have a few days remaining. Looks like a no-no. I really wanted to get a 45nm chip. I checked and the only one that sells for cheaper then the Q6600 (65nm) is the Q8200. But I heard bad things.


Well it was suggestion. Oh well. Maybe you should stick with 6600.
!