Can you recommend a motherboard that will fit my processor and ram?

cromwelljeff

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have been gifted 1x4 1gb ocz pc6400 platinums that won't work in my aged Gateway gt5064 I want to build a new system but can only afford 1 piece at a time so want to continue to use my pentium d smithfield and incorporate this OCZ ram. I am looking for a board with lots of features, future expandability and overclockability.Price is not as important as being able to grow this system and still use it piece by piece, Can you recommend a mobo for me?
thanks,
JEFF

sumpinlikedat

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I will second the UD3P recommendation. I have had 4 Gigabyte boards up to this point, and every single one of them has worked beautifully. They are also very easy to upgrade and overclock.

cromwelljeff

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
He saint19 thank you for your help and your kind welcome and for recommending this mobo! I think you have made a great selection for me. I like the flexibility and the features of this board. I do have a question on memory, the gigabyte recommended ram does verify the gold 800 ddr2 pc2 6400; do you think this will also support the platinum 800 ddr2 I have? I realize my future cpu upgrades are limited to 775 but also remember where I am now, no offense to my gateway gt5064, it has been trouble free and reliable for me, and there are a lot of great 775 cpus above my pentium d 820. I just want to be able to take advantage of improved features on a newer mobo and the 4 free gb of this 800 speed ram and eventually up the cpu to the best 775 I can afford. I am seriously happy that you directed me to gigabyte, thank you for your kindness!

You can install the OCZ RAM without problems, like I see your are talking about the QVL of the mobo right?, that list is only a guide to buy your RAM, but that the RAM don't be in the list, doesn't mean that don't work with your mobo, just mean that the mobo wasn't tested with that RAM.

P.D. Sorry for my bad English, but isn't my native language.

sumpinlikedat

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
One thing, OP, to be careful of:

With proprietary systems such as Gateways/Dells/etc., at times the Windows install will be linked to the motherboard. If you install a new motherboard, your Windows install may no longer work.

cromwelljeff

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Yes that is something to consider, but I am pretty certain that I have the back-ups for my most important programs and it wasn't that long ago that I fresh installed windows 7 so I am not filled up with a lot of baggage to lose from another fresh install.

cromwelljeff

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Yes I can understand that, the Mobo manufacturer would need customers to maintain that database, if I buy this board I will contact them and see about updating my ram, if it works correctly.