Thanks for the (no) memories...

JimmmmBo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Hello,
My computer (2GB) memory seems to be full. Is it possible to use a flash drive as an extension of that memory? For instance, If I plug in a 4GB USB flash drive, will my overall memory then become 6GB? If not, what must I do to increase my computer's (Lenovo ThinkPad T series laptop) memory?

Solution
Are you referring to memory as in RAM, or memory as in HDD storage? If you are referring to what the computer calls physical memory, that is your RAM, and you'd have to add or replace RAM sticks to up your physical memory capacity. If you are referring to HDD storage, you can use a flash drive to store things.

Considering that any laptop built after 2004 probably has a 10GB or larger HDD, I am guessing you are talking about RAM. If your computer is giving you errors about there being not enough memory to run programs, you should a) check what's running in the background and b) run a virus scan. Sounds like you have too much running at once for your laptop to handle.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Toms' hardware forum.

You can't use your flash drive as extension of the RAM.

For increase the RAM of your laptop, you need check the manual of this, and look for the max RAM supported and the specifications of this.

sumpinlikedat

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Are you referring to memory as in RAM, or memory as in HDD storage? If you are referring to what the computer calls physical memory, that is your RAM, and you'd have to add or replace RAM sticks to up your physical memory capacity. If you are referring to HDD storage, you can use a flash drive to store things.

Considering that any laptop built after 2004 probably has a 10GB or larger HDD, I am guessing you are talking about RAM. If your computer is giving you errors about there being not enough memory to run programs, you should a) check what's running in the background and b) run a virus scan. Sounds like you have too much running at once for your laptop to handle.

Solution

JimmmmBo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Old dog/new tech, terms, phrases, etc. What I don't know about computers would fit into a very large dumpster. So I spend too much of my time "dumpster-diving". My worst problem with this is RETENTION. I can't retain anything. So I end up dumpster-swimming and as a result, dumpster-drowning (ARGHHH). Having explained that...

I think your answer is the most understandable. It is very possible that I just had too many irons going at once.

My computer (1¾ years old, now) was advertised at 1GB RAM with an option to add one more GB, which I exercised. So, when this fills up, I'm just SOL, right?

Would an external hard drive add RAM? Or maybe just HDD (like a flash card)?

JimmmmBo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Old dog/new tech, terms, phrases, etc. What I don't know about computers would fit into a very large dumpster. So I spend too much of my time "dumpster-diving". My worst problem with this is RETENTION. I can't retain anything. So I end up dumpster-swimming and as a result, dumpster-drowning (ARGHHH). Having explained that...

I think your answer is the most understandable. It is very possible that I just had too many irons going at once.

My computer (1¾ years old, now) was advertised at 1GB RAM with an option to add one more GB, which I exercised. So, when this fills up, I'm just SOL, right?

Would an external hard drive add RAM? Or maybe just HDD (like a flash card)?

sumpinlikedat

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
The mobo in your laptop may not support more than 2GB of RAM. An external hard drive or flash drive would only add storage, not RAM - RAM stands for Random Access Memory, and it's what the computer uses in tandem with the processor to run programs that are stored on your drives. RAM doesn't really "fill up"... but if your computer is running many programs at one time, it will up the usage to 100% and slow your computer down substantially, as well as causing it to throw up "not enough memory" errors.

RAM is only expandable by opening up the computer and adding sticks of memory, which if you don't know what type you have (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) or how much your motherboard will support, is kind of useless.

My suggestion would be to first check what you have running by doing a ctrl-alt-del and checking task manager - it may be that you have many background programs running that you don't really need. You should also run a virus scan - viruses can cause your computer's CPU and RAM usage to skyrocket.

If you have a friend who knows about hardware, you can get him/her to check your RAM type and whether or not it's expandable. However, if you get rid of some startup and background programs and don't have any viruses, you should be better off in the physical memory department. You did the right thing, if you're running Vista, by upgrading to 2GB of RAM - 1GB is the ABSOLUTE minimum to run Vista and believe me, it doesn't run well that way.

JimmmmBo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Sorry, Saint19, but I had to go with sumpinlikeda for the best answer. Your answer was probably the best for someone who's computer-literate, but I strongly suspect that when Einstein made his (in)famous quote, he had me in mind.

JimmmmBo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Thank you so much for breaking it down like that for me. And for your infinite patience.