Diabolic1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

I was hoping that i could get an opinion and information on what would be more benificial, a 2bg 6850 or a 1gb 6870, and why? Im trying to figure out if its worth investing a little more for a 2gb gpu of lower caliber over a 1gb gpu of slightly higher caliber. Thanks.

Solution

The VRAM does NOT ever increase framrate at all it just load textures in memory so you get less pop ups for a nicer smoother looking gameplay. The faster card up is always a good move and if you are running 1080p or lower res 1gb is lots of VRAM however in the future more ram will become the norm.

Diabolic1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for the replys. I always see people giving the advise to for 2gb if possible. But didnt know how the trade between performance level of card and 1 to 2 gb would be. Do most games even use 1 gb of gpu memory?

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

The VRAM does NOT ever increase framrate at all it just load textures in memory so you get less pop ups for a nicer smoother looking gameplay. The faster card up is always a good move and if you are running 1080p or lower res 1gb is lots of VRAM however in the future more ram will become the norm.

Solution

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

That is such a vague and Jankey half assed chart put up by a no name nobody that no one has heard of LOL. I can upload a graph as well stating whatever I want and however I want but it does not make it fact and that's why we go by accredited sources like Tom's Hardware and Overclock 3D etc.

It makes perfect sense seeing as many games get no boost, what would be the point in making this up.

So if Toms or Overclock 3d does not test it, it is made up, good to know.

I am only talking at very high rez here(and select games), but it DOES have an effect by then. You statement of fps does not increase with more vram is just wrong.

Even hardwarecanucks.com(unless they are too no name nobody for you) shows some games that get a boost, and thats not with multi monitor even.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Well in this context we are in the real world and in the real world 99% of us (((( DO NOT RUN A 2560x1600 HD+ Monitor )))) or Eyefinity etc . More VRAM does not have an increasing effect on framerate but only on the quality of each of the frames that are rendered by the actual parallel processor aka GPU and by quality I mean pop ups of textures, lighting and sometimes whole objects not the speed that the GPU chip runs at to processes the images that we measure in frame per second. VRAM can hold many things like Images, Image fragments, Textures, Light sources, Partial calculations, and Physics engine parameters but all of these parameters that can be stored into VRAM have to be put there first by the GPU. That being said the onus is still on how fast the GPU core can load up it's VRAM weather it has 1GBVRAM or 6 with information not how much VRAM is available for example a GTS 250 in theory could have 10GB of VRAM but it would never be fast/powerful enough to keep it even nearly filled to the max with graphical computational parameters that a highly graphically demanding title would call for so I suspect just for an example even 768mb of VRAM would be plenty for the power and resolution that a low level class of GPU such as a GTS 250 could handle. On the other end of the spectrum in contrast to the weak and old GTS 250 the new and sexy 7970 for how powerful it's GPU will be I would say it's reference 3GB VRAM buffer would be warranted/fitting for the kind of next gen highly graphically demanding games it is capable of realistically running smoothly and at HD+ resolutions so have a great day class dismissed !