Sign in with
Your question

My pc loads twice on cold startup

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2012 9:04:39 PM

Hey I have an i5 2500k at 4.3ghz, asus p8z68-v le and arctic freezer pro 7, not tried to push it any further, running at 65-70 degrees under full load, I think I have put on too much thermal paste I will fix that when I can be bothered, its all stable and hasn't shut off once, but if I turn my pc on in the morning after being off in the night, or when I get back from work etc, it starts the fans etc, and then stops and then starts up again, is this normal behaviour? is there anything going badly wrong here? any help would be appreciated, sorry for the lack of grammar and sentence structure, I just got home and am really tired! :) 

be aswell asking this aswell, my processor keeps jumping from 1.6ghz to 4.3, I know this is some option but should I have it on or is it wise to turn it off or what?

More about : loads cold startup

January 2, 2012 9:51:34 PM

That's interesting as it's happening to me lately. Let's see what pros say...
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2012 11:06:28 PM

Some Motherboards boards have had problems with double posting on cold boot when overclocked not just Asus. I would see if there has been a bios update that has remedied the problem. To answer is this normal behaviour? Kinda, some boards will do it if it dont like some setting in the bios, but it is not hurting anything.
Is there anything going badly wrong here? No.

Make sure you update through the bios, using the utility through the OS has been known to brick Motherboards. This isnt just a problem with asus. I have updated the bios both ways with success but I have bricked a gigabyte board by updating through the OS. Just my experience.
Related resources
March 23, 2012 11:38:57 AM

Quote:
Some Motherboards boards have had problems with double posting on cold boot when overclocked not just Asus. I would see if there has been a bios update that has remedied the problem. To answer is this normal behaviour? Kinda, some boards will do it if it dont like some setting in the bios, but it is not hurting anything.
Is there anything going badly wrong here? No.

Make sure you update through the bios, using the utility through the OS has been known to brick Motherboards. This isnt just a problem with asus. I have updated the bios both ways with success but I have bricked a gigabyte board by updating through the OS. Just my experience.

Thank you SO much for this, I had this problem for over a year, with two separate motherboard and CPU setups in the same system, so I completely passed on the idea that it could be the BIOS needing an update. Frankly, I had given up trying to sort it out. But I came across this thread 4 days ago, figured I may as well give it a go and BAM! it has booted first time since then (it was doing it every single day before)
So thanks again mate, you are a lifesaver! :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 11:59:06 AM

ayff said:
Hey I have an i5 2500k at 4.3ghz, asus p8z68-v le and arctic freezer pro 7, not tried to push it any further, running at 65-70 degrees under full load, I think I have put on too much thermal paste I will fix that when I can be bothered, its all stable and hasn't shut off once, but if I turn my pc on in the morning after being off in the night, or when I get back from work etc, it starts the fans etc, and then stops and then starts up again, is this normal behaviour? is there anything going badly wrong here? any help would be appreciated, sorry for the lack of grammar and sentence structure, I just got home and am really tired! :) 

be aswell asking this aswell, my processor keeps jumping from 1.6ghz to 4.3, I know this is some option but should I have it on or is it wise to turn it off or what?

Asus boards got that double booting problem sometimes it freezes during booting. The temps during full load is pretty okay. How about the temps during idle? The CPU is jumping from 1.6 to 4.3 bcoz you did not disable the speed step setting on the BIOS.
March 23, 2012 6:15:07 PM

aqe040466 said:
Asus boards got that double booting problem sometimes it freezes during booting. The temps during full load is pretty okay. How about the temps during idle? The CPU is jumping from 1.6 to 4.3 bcoz you did not disable the speed step setting on the BIOS.

temps idle are around 40ish? I think, I haven't disabled the speed stepping, is it wise to leave it on or off when overclocking?

p.s thanks for the reply :D 
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2012 9:48:51 PM

ayff said:
temps idle are around 40ish? I think, I haven't disabled the speed stepping, is it wise to leave it on or off when overclocking?

p.s thanks for the reply :D 

Here is a link on how to overclock an i5 2500K and i7 2600K
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...
!