Nvidia partners order huge quantities of Fermi chips

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15955/1/

thats good news...

randomizer

Champion
Nvidia partners order huge quantities of Fermi chips

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15955/1/

thats good news...
A large order is no indication of a large supply. They are ordering lots of them because GT200b is disappearing from the channels and they need to replace them with something. I could order lots of GT300 cards from my local retailer, doesn't mean I'm going to get them any time soon (if at all).

EDIT: You did make a good point earlier though, this is mainstream. I didn't notice that until just then. I'd expect Jan or Feb for high end then. Still no actual confirmation about that though (and by confirmation, I don't mean NVIDIA PR responding to rumours of low yields).

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I really, really hate Fuad from fudzilla. He is the most biased nvidia fanboy you'll find and alot of the stuff he spews out is just rubbish.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

In that case balance it out with a bit of Charlie from Semi Accurate and you should feel fine.

Any card from Nvidia that is released with the GT300 core won't be for consumers, Nvidia themselves have made this quite clear that they want to target the business market more rather then launching products directly to the consumer market first. Of course this means ATI won't be under pressure to lower prices any time soon which is a shame (but then again I don't think the Radeon's are that expensive considering how new they are and what they offer).

G

maybe mainstream card will be in that time but high end will be sooner

jennyh

Splendid
There is no good reason why it would take 3-4 months longer to get mainstream parts out after the high end. AMD got their mainstream out 3 weeks later, what is nvidia's excuse for it being 3-4 months?

I think you'll find the top end Fermi will be moved back to a Q1 2010 release. Late Q1.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

Fuad is not a fanboy, he is on Nvidia payroll, there is a difference ;)

Charlie hates Nvidia, but if you can look through his distaste, he often get things right. On the other hand, Fuad post FUD, nothing more, nothing less. So as much as they are antipodes, they arent comparable.

It would be very stupid for Nvidia to focus mainly on HPC, not only because we as customers will lose due to AMD monopoly, but because Nvidia would probably would go down under with such strategy. You know how much they earned from this niche? 10 mln., do you know how much they spend on it? I dont, but I guess 50x more than they gained. Maybe this market will take off, maybe. But even in this case maybe Intel will launch LRB which maybe will kill Tesla on this very niche :sarcastic: Imagine HPC market dominated by Intel, gamers market by AMD... what Nvidia will do exactly?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
why is everyone hating on John? he's no concrum at least, and he isn't being offensive at all, so you guys can chill out.

and i think the high end cards will hit before the year ends, but nvidia will be screwed when it comes to the midrange department... but its all good cause dx11 games wont be too ample for a while.

AND they still have the majority of the market at their fingertips, they won't go down this generation.

Well, we've seen a picture of a 5870X2 that was already all prettied up. I don't know what ATI's release plans are for it though, maybe they will wait until right before/after NVidia's release so they can get its drivers as optimized as possible.