LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha community , LongBike -Hawaii,

I have this Sr1611NX and I got new restore disc's and installed them now my HD wont except the disc's
it keeps by passing the build up section for the regitration for windows to install. It was fine beore but had no disc's so I bought new ones like I said , but installed them and now HD wont program them.
Could use some help out there
Thanks for the advice given .......................LongBike

LongBike,

The description you've posted seems unclear. HP/Compaq should have a partition of the hard drive where the Recovery Tools are installed. When the Compaq splash screen displays, you would press F9, I think (HP is F9 for the Recovery Tools).

If somehow you were unable to access this partition, then that would explain why you needed to get the Recovery Discs. If this is what you're saying, please tell us what happened before the installation. And by "installation" do you mean you used the Recovery Tools?

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha , SiHoc legere scis,
What happened is it did not have any install disc's when I got it from my Daughter.
So I ordered new ones fro HP/Compaq, because there should be a one time burn of the install program /....when after we receive the computer in .... /all Programs so we can have a set for later use. It is done through the ..../Record Now burner program. QWell my son re-installed the new software disc's ,to make a set of the SR1611NX computer. He installed it and it went good and he burned ... /2 DVD disc's /...... and the computer said I have re-install software for later use.
Well after the computer set up itself it now recovers but the area where we fill in the .......... / Microsoft section and it says congradulation you have installed the software ........... / Well it did not do that , instaed it goes everytime to the front Windows page , does all kinds of running up and after it says dont turn of the computer , it goes for about 20 seconds and it shuts off. It gom to the process of reading the files , but the changing rom side to continue on it by passes that part.
The computer runs good and is fine except it dont change rom to continue after the files are read ,it goes directly into the Windows front page . The windows page goes crazy bringing up the pages and logs and then it shuts off.
Give me another email if you need to. Thanks for the reply and this is a great site I'm loving it everyday. LongBike / ............ email .... longbike48@yahoo.com

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha , SiHoc legere scis,
What happened is it did not have any install disc's when I got it from my Daughter.
So I ordered new ones fro HP/Compaq, because there should be a one time burn of the install program /....when after we receive the computer in .... /all Programs so we can have a set for later use. It is done through the ..../Record Now burner program. QWell my son re-installed the new software disc's ,to make a set of the SR1611NX computer. He installed it and it went good and he burned ... /2 DVD disc's /...... and the computer said I have re-install software for later use.
Well after the computer set up itself it now recovers but the area where we fill in the .......... / Microsoft section and it says congradulation you have installed the software ........... / Well it did not do that , instaed it goes everytime to the front Windows page , does all kinds of running up and after it says dont turn of the computer , it goes for about 20 seconds and it shuts off. It gom to the process of reading the files , but the changing rom side to continue on it by passes that part.
The computer runs good and is fine except it dont change rom to continue after the files are read ,it goes directly into the Windows front page . The windows page goes crazy bringing up the pages and logs and then it shuts off.
Give me another email if you need to. Thanks for the reply and this is a great site I'm loving it everyday. LongBike / ............ email .... longbike48@yahoo.com

When you turn on your computer, normally there is the manufacturer logo. Just after this screen passes, the hard drive begins to load Windows. As the screen changes from Compaq, press the F8 key repeatedly. This should bring up the advanced boot menu.

In this advanced menu, you'll have several options, choose the option that allows you to use "The most recent settings that worked" and see if that helps you load Windows.

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha Sic hoc scis,
Thanks and lAloha again,
Tried every listing on the page but it still persist's to do the same thing. What if I was to change the processor chip ?? It is a AMD Sempron , I have a couple extra
6 - Athlon 64 's , 2 - Athlon64 X2, and a couple more I think. All this started because my son did not do the format, he just put the new CD's in and did the re-install to get restore disc's made. If at all possible could you please reply bcak to me with more advice. I bought a new ...WD 350 HD and tried to install but the same results happens. The machine works great except to re-program. The board is the A8AE-LE . Have another ..... HP Media Edition 2005 , XP but it black screen but it comes on and stays on and was going to invest to get it going but this one comes first. The media one is the ....... a1310n , but the case says .....a1330n. I also ordered the reinstall disc's it has ...3 disc's to program. Man this one has become something else for repairing but have to try to get it done right. Even with a new HD the SR1611NX does the same thing so ...... ??
Aloha again for the reply. LongBike

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes translates to "if you can read this, you are over educated." Not that I mind you addressing me as overeducated, but sadly, i'm not.

Back to your dilema. What you are facing is a software conflict. Changing the CPU will not help you boot up Windows. I was hoping not to have to suggest that a reformat is in order, but alas, it may be the last result.

Before you reformat the hard drive, there are ways to extract any files you may want to keep. The easiest way is to connect the hard drive from the Compaq to a computer that boots up properly. When you connect the Compaq hard drive, be sure to connect it as a slave drive.

If the hard drive is and older model, it will be and IDE interface, whereas the newer models will be SATA interface. In IDE, there are three settings:

1. Master - means you want the BIOS to boot from this hard drive first, always.
2. Slave - means that you want the BIOS to use this hard drive as storage only.
3. Cable Select - means you will let the IDE cable (looks like a ribbon) decide which drive to boot from by using the Master/Slave connections on the cable.

For SATA, you simply have to connect the hard drive to a different SATA port and it will automatically be a slave/storage drive. Note that this is only in reference to connecting the Compaq hard drive in question. I'd elaborate on this, but I don't want to get off topic.

With the Compaq hard drive connected as a slave/storage drive in the working computer, locate all wanted files and move them to the master hard drive (the one that is currently "C:\".

As far as the new hard drive you bought, the WD350, there are a couple of things you have to do before you can use it with the SR1611NX:

1. Remove the original hard drive
2. Install the WD350 in place of the original
3. Change Boot Order/Priority in the BIOS to allow your CD/DVD drive to be first in line
4. Pop in Recovery Disks
5. Exit BIOS w/ saving changes
6. When computer restarts, it should read the Recovery Disc first. Follow on screen instructions to return computer back to factory or default settings.

As for the HP Media, we can discuss what the problem with that is on a separate thread.

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha Si hoc legere scis,
Thanks for all that great advice , I will follow through with all this. I am going to lick this delima , and get it to go again. I will be doing the corrections and will let you know if it goes ..... A 0k.
[ As for the media one if you come up with anything let me know and I'll follow up on that too. It has been a great experience to join this forum now and I should have stumbled on it alot sooner than I did. I have been doing all this but learning alot , but now with all of you , it should be great. I do not want to bother to muh but you guys ............. GoT IT , and you are so willing to help us out here and I know eveyone appreciates all of it.
Aloha and when I get this all done I'll let you know again .....
Aloha .........LongBike

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha again , Sic hoc legere scis,
LongBike .......... ,
Hi , I did all that was advised, but this SR1611NX it still doing the same thing continually yet. Found a guy here that had two ...... SR's and he wanted to seeel them and they are both . .........AMD , Win.XP ......, equipped and working fine. So what I did was I bought them and they the two are cooking. His friend has one also but it is a Intel one but it needs a ..........power unit .....but I got it also.
This one I have well I'll work on it for a while.
But if at all possible , could you advise me a little on my ..... a1310n Media , but the case front says ......... /a 1330n /....... but for awhile I'll try to get this one kicking because it has a ........ A8AE-LE board in it and AMD Athlon64, Windows XP 2005. Edition .
Well if you have some time I will appreciate some pointers.
Thanks for all the time and advice on the SR machine though.
LongBike
Problem is it is black screen'ed but works as far as the whole thing is.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, your HP (model number isn't as important at this point) boots up, but has no display. Allow me to educate you on some relative terms...

When we techs say "boot" we mean that you can hear the fans spinning, the hard drive working, and most commonly, there is a single short beep that indicates Power On Self Test, or POST, was successful.

If you could, please confirm that your HP booted up, based on the description above. If so, and you don't have a display, the popular suspects would be:
1. Power Supply Unit, or PSU
2. Random Access Memory, or RAM
3. An electrical short (from now on will be referred to as "short")

However, if your HP did not boot, based on the description above, let me know what didn't occur. Meaning, after pressing the power button, what didn't you hear?

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hi , Yes it comes on and eberything mechanically works , but thats it.....Si hoc Legere scis.
I was thinking this media it better if I up graded to a new Mo BO , and get the most out of it. Maybe my ther one is bette to use , what if you cancel the Media with me and do another one.
I have working good now ................ 1 - Compaq 6400NX little older but it works great. Also 2 - SR's ....1- Sr1611NX and a other SR. the Sr 1611NX it got some conflicts with the install media , this one it works fine too , but cant install the disc's , probably BIOS settings need to be checked.
I appreciate all the help so far and will continue too if it is 0k with the forums community.
Can the 6400NX be upgrade by any means like devices or some other means.
Thank you again and Aloha .................LongBike

Compaq 6400NX is ancient and, in my honest opinion, not worth the trouble of finding upgrades. However, to answer your question, yes, it is upgradeable. The limitations to the upgrade are
1. RAM, as DDR is probably not even stocked on shelves anymore so you'll have to look online;
2. This looks like a mATX style motherboard and PSU. The 200 W is the maximum output of this PSU, so that means it cannot handle a lot. An upgrade here would certainly help;
3. The 40 GB hard drive is very old and it is an IDE interface. I would consider a larger capacity hard drive. This may need to be purchased online, but some local shops may still carry IDE hard drives.
4. Finally, the graphics interface should be disabled and pick up an AGP graphics card. You probably won't find an AGP card that is compatible with this system.

All in all, I would put the cost of upgrades toward a new system. You seem to like the prefabricated systems, that being said, you can find online companies to custom build a computer for you. Even the SR1611 models aren't really worth the effort to restore. All the costs involved in restoring these older models can be better spent for a new(er) system.

Now what's this about the BIOS?

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Aloha ,
It's for the SR1611NX , the software conflict you mentioned , if it only would load proprely it works great. But it is used as a back up for me I want to get away from this emachine I had for the past , since 2006 W3118. I like the HP's and my partner he says get out of there , and HP guy. I have two SR's and one works great but this one it the problem one. Maybe if I get another ASUS MoBo I can solve these problems better. I am trying to build one my self to challenge all this and the only thing let to get is the MoBo.
Thanks for the email , if any other advice please email , I need it and it's helpful LongBike
That why all the questions so far. But I thank you very much Sir.

LongBike

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Si hoc , I also made a CUBE out of a HP Slimline and it works fine. I'm a retired construction and Welder so I made a case ressemling a Welders Helmet it looks great with all the paint schemes also. A friend gave me a nice ATX case s9 it the one to try to build. A 400 wat psu in it and he gave me a new lightscribe drive and a Liton DVD drive all free so might as well use all that.