I5-2400 heatsink install remove mobo?

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hey everyone,

Just swapped a i3-2100 for a i5-2400 in my silverstone tj08-e case. These stock intel heatsink push pins make me nervous. Some claim that I need to remove the motherboard to make sure the pushpins made it all the way through.
Is this necessary? When I installed I left the mobo in the case. I placed a considerable amount of pressure on the pins two at a time diagonal from one another and made sure the pins were rotated fully away from the direction of the arrow. My idle temps average 27 +-2 degrees. If one of the pins was not secure surely I would have higher temps?
I must say that my AMD stock heatsinks were cake compared to this. I've heard dodgey things about the push pin system. thanks

For future reference , your case has a large cutout in the mobo tray, all you would have to do is remove the left hand case panel to see the pins.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

Well I feel kind of silly at this point. Could anyone tell me what I'm looking for as far as how the pins look on the backside of the motherboard to make sure they are secure? I feel like I used a considerable amount of force putting the heatsink on I'm hoping I didn't damage the mobo or the pins.