Replacing dead motherboard...I use a Core2 duo...what should I do?

I really don't want to buy a socket 775 board since those are being phased out, but at the same time if I want to get a socket 1366, I'll need a new processor. Are there any options for me, or am I left to choose between buying old tech or spending a fortune on two new things?
4 answers Last reply
More about replacing dead motherboard core2 what
  1. Just buy a cheap mobo like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138142 so then when you buy your new computer you'll have an old one you can use or sell to someone.
  2. Personally I would just pick up a cheap 775 board and keep using the system for now. Unless you already use DDR3 memory, you'll need to buy that too if you go 1366.
  3. bovis said:
    I really don't want to buy a socket 775 board since those are being phased out, but at the same time if I want to get a socket 1366, I'll need a new processor. Are there any options for me, or am I left to choose between buying old tech or spending a fortune on two new things?

Anonymous said:
    Personally I would just pick up a cheap 775 board and keep using the system for now. Unless you already use DDR3 memory, you'll need to buy that too if you go 1366.

I agree. If you've only got ddr2 ram then i wouldn't bother getting 1366 motherboard as you'll need ddr3 ram as well. (there not cheap at the moment. )

Now if you needing triple channel memory bandwidth and/or a quad cord, 8 threaded cpu for anything you run, then i would say go after it but most people dont. A normal core 2 duo/quad cpu is enough power for a normal person.
  4. and i7's haven't really dropped to a good price : performance ratio for gaming, right?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket Motherboards Product