Sign in with
Your question

Replacing dead motherboard...I use a Core2 duo...what should I do?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Socket
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2009 5:06:14 PM

I really don't want to buy a socket 775 board since those are being phased out, but at the same time if I want to get a socket 1366, I'll need a new processor. Are there any options for me, or am I left to choose between buying old tech or spending a fortune on two new things?

More about : replacing dead motherboard core2 duo

a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2009 5:41:40 PM

Personally I would just pick up a cheap 775 board and keep using the system for now. Unless you already use DDR3 memory, you'll need to buy that too if you go 1366.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2009 6:33:57 PM

bovis said:
I really don't want to buy a socket 775 board since those are being phased out, but at the same time if I want to get a socket 1366, I'll need a new processor. Are there any options for me, or am I left to choose between buying old tech or spending a fortune on two new things?

loneninja said:
Personally I would just pick up a cheap 775 board and keep using the system for now. Unless you already use DDR3 memory, you'll need to buy that too if you go 1366.

I agree. If you've only got ddr2 ram then i wouldn't bother getting 1366 motherboard as you'll need ddr3 ram as well. (there not cheap at the moment. )

Now if you needing triple channel memory bandwidth and/or a quad cord, 8 threaded cpu for anything you run, then i would say go after it but most people dont. A normal core 2 duo/quad cpu is enough power for a normal person.
m
l
December 17, 2009 6:40:02 PM

and i7's haven't really dropped to a good price : performance ratio for gaming, right?
m
l
!