Sound Blaster Live! 24 Bit

Bercis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I bought a new monitor not too long ago and one of the features that I liked about it was the SPDIF output from the HDMI. I was hoping to hook my PS3 up to the monitor and then have the sound come out of my computer speakers since built in speakers don't sounds that great. I hooked up everything and can play the PS3 on the monitor with the built in speakers but I'm not sure how to get the sound to play through my PC speakers. I've plugged the SPDIF-out from the monitor into the mic in on the sound card because I read in the user guide this is the SPDIF-in as well. I've unmuted the SPDIF-in within the Creative Surround Mixer. I've also read that there is a digital I/O module for it. Will I need to buy one? Here is my setup:

Monitor: http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eVfxWZGyhikBt0aM
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! 24 Bit(internal)

Bercis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
That was the Creative Surround Mixer I mentioned earlier. It gives you 6 Sources with little speakers underneath them. Three of them are Line-In, Microphone, and S/PDIF-In and it will only let you have one of the three unmuted at a time. I have the S/PDIF-In unmuted.

If I where to hook up a multimeter to the output would I be able to see anything? I'd like to confirm that I'm getting an output.