mobo gigabyte p45 UD3P
HDD maxtor 250gb 7200rpm
Samsung Ecogreen 1.5 TB
Cooler Xigamtech Dark Knight
Optical LG DL/DVD R burner
Case Antec 300
PSU Antec EA 650
GPU MSI Radeon 4850 OC'ed

I've used this comp for around 6 months and am looking to sell this to a friend. How much is a good ballpark on the value of this system? Thanks!

Yeah you might be able to get away with like $400-$500. Maybe I'm totally off of what you payed for it. I am assuming you built it yourself. I've sold things to friends for pretty good prices, but I've installed things for them and they know I offer a little support for them if they have issues. If they are trying to be cheap on me I just let they buy it and if something goes wrong, Oh well.

Used computer stuff doesn't really fetch much these days. Unless it is a desired part. like the stupid btx mobo's that everyone wants $150+ for on ebay. Stupid parts.

sleepychink125

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

thanks for your responses everyone. im a little queasy about the whole 1/3 thing... i paid around 600-650 for it. however, that means im selling it for about 200?? that can't be right, can it?

also, instead of what i paid for it- isn't a better indicator of price, how much the prices are today? rather than how much i paid for it. ) thx everyone!

sleepychink125

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

why's that? u mean sell the whole system for 2x of what the psu+gpu? that's interesting...

a psu and a gpu determines half your system value,if you haven got a name brand psu take the price of your gpu and three quarters your cpu value and sell it for double that price if you got an igp take the price of your ram and cpu double that ,i find this system to work for me

sleepychink125

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
well my 4850 is probably worth about 100 bucks, the 650 antec earthwatts is probably worth 80 bucks. so about 360?

im still a poor college student... so im trying to figure out how much i could get without ripping off my rich morgan stanley friend....

What ever happened to... So wut do ya think I kud get fur this her thang? *spit*

You're poor, he's not.... $500 and see if he counter offers with $450. Then you can say "sure cause we're buds". You get $50 more than what you thought. He thinks he got a deal... Everyone's happy. If he is ok with $500 so be it.

It's only 6 months old and if you built it yourself you can always include a little labor in the "value" of the system. I always do that. Hey I built it for $500, but I built it so lets say $200 labor, and comparable PC from Dell is like $800. So lets say new it's worth $700 not $500. It's a year old, so I sell it for $350, half the "price" of it. Because think of it this way... if you sold just the parts, NOT assembled, they don't know how to build the thing. So the value is more than just the parts. My time is valuable... Oh wait.. I think I should be working right now.

This has went from "what do I sell my old PC to my friend for" to a "how can I get some sucker to pay twice what the thing is worth" thread.

So, sleepychink125, which is it? Sell to friend, or screw some idiot over?
If he is your friend, it is worth maybe $250-300, most.
If you want to screw him over, charge him $500.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Being a friend has nothing to do with business transactions. That stuff should be totally separate. That's a good deal of money that just evaporates in the $250-300 range, especially since it's not even an old computer.

The case, PSU, GPU, CPU cooler and DVD would be $400ish new. Throwing in the CPU/Motherboard and two HDDs because its 6 months used might be too generous. Its possible you could get $400 parting it our on ebay.

Consider it a new computer with a solid burn-in period and go for $500 or so. :p

TRENDING THREADS