Need Quick Mobo Advice for new comp build - buying tonight!

burwang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Guys,

I am building a new game rig and am gonna go with the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition for CPU and the Radeon 5870 for my GPU - but I am a bit lost as to what I will need for a mobo. If I should be overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU I need a board that is user friendly in this regard cause it will be my first oc. If I should be considering running another GPU later can u recommend a board that would allow me to expand? Also budgeting is important so I want good value for the dollar but nothing cheap, looking at about the 1100-1200 range for the build overall (looks like boards run from 100-200 but dunno what I need really). A few options with explanation of benefits would be a great help, thanks guys really appreciate it. ** And a quick recoomendation for 6GB of RAM would help as well! Thanks!

:pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

SystemPat

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Best advice is to slow down and make sure you know what you're getting. Before you buy it and maybe regret it.
The 2 most important components are probably the motherboard and the power supply (PSU). If either one is bad it kills the whole system. IF a PSU is listed at $35 for a 650 watt model, stay away. There is something wrong with it. At the least it's just overrated. At worst it's a time bomb waiting to go off in your system box.
If you want the option to run 2 video cards in a crossfire setup, then the motherboard has to be the full ATX size and have the 2 video card slots.
If you get the X4 955, it's not going to OC very much because it's already at 3.2ghz . Most you will get is likely to be 3.6 or 3.7.