Need Quick Mobo Advice for new comp build - buying tonight!

Guys,

I am building a new game rig and am gonna go with the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition for CPU and the Radeon 5870 for my GPU - but I am a bit lost as to what I will need for a mobo. If I should be overclocking the CPU and/or the GPU I need a board that is user friendly in this regard cause it will be my first oc. If I should be considering running another GPU later can u recommend a board that would allow me to expand? Also budgeting is important so I want good value for the dollar but nothing cheap, looking at about the 1100-1200 range for the build overall (looks like boards run from 100-200 but dunno what I need really). A few options with explanation of benefits would be a great help, thanks guys really appreciate it. ** And a quick recoomendation for 6GB of RAM would help as well! Thanks!

:pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:
2 answers Last reply
More about need quick mobo advice comp build buying tonight
  1. Best advice is to slow down and make sure you know what you're getting. Before you buy it and maybe regret it.
    The 2 most important components are probably the motherboard and the power supply (PSU). If either one is bad it kills the whole system. IF a PSU is listed at $35 for a 650 watt model, stay away. There is something wrong with it. At the least it's just overrated. At worst it's a time bomb waiting to go off in your system box.
    If you want the option to run 2 video cards in a crossfire setup, then the motherboard has to be the full ATX size and have the 2 video card slots.
    If you get the X4 955, it's not going to OC very much because it's already at 3.2ghz . Most you will get is likely to be 3.6 or 3.7.
  2. Toms just did a system builder's marathon and they used a 790 motherboard for the first two (haven't read the $2500 one yet). That's probably a good choice.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build GPUs Systems