Power to GA-X58A-UD3R

jetpack

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hi all,

I'm building a system with the GA-X58A-UD3R and it has both ATX and ATX_12V_2X power connectors. The manual is a little vague making it sound like I might need to use both, but then again, maybe only if I'm using an extreme edition CPU (which I'm not). I'm using a core i7-930 cpu and Corsair HX750 PSU.

My question is do I need to use both connectors or not? This is my first build if you can't tell :).

Thanks!

Solution
The i7 930 is a 130W TDP processor; I'm pretty sure it will require a 2x4 12V connector; I generally consider the 'dividing line' to be in the neighborhood of 90W TDP; below, you can likely get away with a 2x2 12V, above, the 2x4; nothing, these days, will run off the standard 2x12 ATX general purpose - the CPUs suck enough power that the supply routing has to be done from close to the CPU itself...

bilbat

Splendid
The i7 930 is a 130W TDP processor; I'm pretty sure it will require a 2x4 12V connector; I generally consider the 'dividing line' to be in the neighborhood of 90W TDP; below, you can likely get away with a 2x2 12V, above, the 2x4; nothing, these days, will run off the standard 2x12 ATX general purpose - the CPUs suck enough power that the supply routing has to be done from close to the CPU itself...

Solution

areyouready81

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Sorry, just to be clear. Both the ATX (24-pin) and the ATX_12V_2X (4-pins x 2) connection should be used? I have the exact same board and cpu as jetpack. It has been about 8 years since I did my last build and these connections are new to me.